Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Thia is "Maemo-Leste pre-alpha announcement"-thread...I just wondering that is there coming Maemo-Leste pre-beta announcement any time soon?

How soon?
My guess is that if you are in your 30s you will probably experience that in your lifetime.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
I don't know of any USB modem that actually allows for audio routing, so it won't be useful for calls. For the N900 we'll just have to fix calls the proper way.
Isn't the Quectel EG25 in the Pinephone and Pinephone Pro a USB modem?

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
When I install the latest N900 image from the N900 Leste wikipage from the latest image link I still get when I launch Leste the welcome window which states there is a major update which I can find behind a link. But the date in the stating text points to an earlier date. Which is the latest? From the wikipage link or the welcome window?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
When I install the latest N900 image from the N900 Leste wikipage from the latest image link I still get when I launch Leste the welcome window which states there is a major update which I can find behind a link. But the date in the stating text points to an earlier date. Which is the latest? From the wikipage link or the welcome window?
All N900 images from 2021 to today:
stable:
https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/n900/
dev:
https://maedevu.maemo.org/images-devel/n900/

Is there something I should do differently if I launch the devel image? Flashed it, booted the device, got the booting texts through but having a black screen and desktop not starting.

And it takes a really long time to get to see the booting texts.

Last edited by Maemish; 2023-02-13 at 18:01.

I wanted to try the devel cause with the stable:

1. Firefox-esr took like ages to load (it was faster with some earlier image) . Have to try how well it will work but takes many many minutes to load.

2. QTbrowser launched but couldn't scroll a news page, tried without doing apt upgrade and with apt upgrade. It just opened and froze even I waited very long time and let it load.

3. The same happened with Surf2.

4. Application manager is a bit burden to use cause scrolling with stylus doesn't work that well. The same happens with different settings menus.

5, If I shutdown the system I need to take the battery off before I can boot the device again.

6. Language (finnish) keyboard layout doesn't make a different. Xterm and apps still use english layout.

Was there somewhere a wish list for apps to port from Maemo 5?

My wishes would be:

1. Loadapplet: shows on the top bar cpu and mem. Very usefull while opening apps to see there is still loading going on.

2. Hopefully some easy way to overclock.

3. The ssu tweaks that gave a lot of possibilities to take off transitions and stuff and it made the device snappier. The CSSU version of Leste has fewer options.

I will share here soon a link to pictures of booting texts.

Last edited by Maemish; 2023-02-13 at 18:00.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwnw8a3v8...WcQwQMYka?dl=0

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Was there somewhere a wish list for apps to port from Maemo 5?
This?:
https://leste.maemo.org/Wishlist

I afraid that every new version is more slower if nobody start make optimization specially for N900. But maybe it is time to optimize, when all working.

But thanks to review where Leste is with N900 right now.
More reviews with different devices are welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Now I remember why I stopped using N900. Two days using it again, 7h sleep in two nights. It is like an interesting puzzle and the challenge it gives you and the feeling of success when you crack a problem.

Will update here but as I just yesterday night heard, the current Beowulf image is not working as well as will be the chimaera which should be published soon, maybe in couple of months. But now when I started I will do tests with beowulf.

Atleast one thing is clear already. If starting from scratch and gpnna do a lot of installing apps before one is gonna start using them, changing swappiness from 60 to 10 makes a huge different. I tjink I will try to do some installs with temporary 1 swappiness so if the device suddenly makes a reboot the swappiness is returned to a normal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jul 2023 @ Europe
The overall slowness on N900 is clearly a combination of factors:
The type of uSDcard in use.
The type of swap.
The time needed for Hildon to load properly.
The difficult 2 first boots.

The first boot from a fresh img is delicate. Be patient, and let Hildon loading for let's say 3 minutes. Then the first thing to do is checking if swap has been activated automatically or not. Htop shows swap usage.
Do not try to install anything or connect to internet without swap -and root partition extanded-
For example, apt-worker will start automatically if you connect your device to wifi.
Consequences: out of memory.
With precaution -using a fast uSDcard, extanded partition, swap- and after 2 reboots Chimaera is working well. Even better with overclock and the problematic 125Mhz frequency removed.

Last edited by Arno_11; 2023-07-07 at 04:27. Reason: Details

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arno_11 For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7