Active Topics

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Is is possible to change the bluetooth passkey?
And if so how?
tia
I did search
PLEASE use the Wiki

did u try to delete the device and re-pair?

You set the passkey for each device, to anything you want. Note, some devices have 0000 set and it can't be changed. Any device that has an input method allows setting the PIN to anything, though. If you have a key set, you can unpair the devices, and repair with a key of your choosing.

Apparently I did not make my question clear enough
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Is is possible to change the bluetooth passkey?
And if so how?
tia
I did search
I have a N810.
Is it possible to change the passkey on the N810 ?
PLEASE use the Wiki

I guess I didn't make my answer clear enough. There is no passkey, you enter whatever key you want each time you pair with a device. Every pair has its own individual key, so you can use any 4 numbers you like with any device. There is no passkey set in the N810, or any other device which has the capability to enter numbers.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I guess I didn't make my answer clear enough. There is no passkey, you enter whatever key you want each time you pair with a device. Every pair has its own individual key, so you can use any 4 numbers you like with any device. There is no passkey set in the N810, or any other device which has the capability to enter numbers.
So when I connected with my laptop using "0000" I could of connected with any number?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Last edited by gemniii42; 2008-01-13 at 21:44. Reason: dyslexic keyboard

Passkeys are connection specific, meaning a new one is generated each time you go to pair a device. Both devices must enter the same passkey to pair with each other, but it is definable by you. So if I got to pair my N810 to my Bluetooth enabled phone and I started on the N810 side by going to Bluetooth Devices>New then select my phone, the N810 automatically generates a random code that I enter in to my phone so they can be paired. However I could change that code to 1234 and as long as I enter the same code on the other device they will pair. Keep in mind a new code is required each time you pair a device.

Put more clearly - there is no Bluetooth passkey on your N810 or any other Bluetooth device, just a one time number that has to match on both devices in order for them to pair.

Also remember that devices without any mode of input generally have default pair passkeys like 0000 or 1234. (think Bluetooth headsets), and of course the device you are trying to pair to needs to be in pair mode otherwise you won't be able to connected to it. Once the device is on the N810s trusted device list (ie: its been paired) it can open and close connections at any given time without having to put in a passkey or putting anything into pair mode.

I actually really like this protocol that is standard to Bluetooth devices. So someone can't hack your device and steal your passkey because you make a new one each time that has to match on both devices. I hope I explained that clearly, let me know if I need to reword it.

Last edited by Benz145; 2008-01-13 at 21:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, so I'm sitting here in my hotel room, my 810 see's somebody else and I go in and listen to their music and access their pictures.
I did not enter a passcode or anything, it's just somebody's Nokia phone.
How do I change my passkey so they cannot log into me?
PLEASE use the Wiki

You can't. You don't have a passkey until you try to pair with a device. If someone tries to pair with your N810, it should ask you if you want to permit it, and ask you for a key. All you need to do is say no.

One more time, your N810 has no passkey. You give it a unique key each time you want to pair with another device. Whoever you're accessing has their phone set up to accept anything, which isn't a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to sgosnell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Thanks, so I'm sitting here in my hotel room, my 810 see's somebody else and I go in and listen to their music and access their pictures.
I did not enter a passcode or anything, it's just somebody's Nokia phone.
How do I change my passkey so they cannot log into me?
They can't log into ANY of your devices unless the following 2 criteria are met:

1. your device is set to 'Discoverable' or 'Visible'
2. when prompted to authorize the connection, you input the same passkey as the other party did when he/she attempted to connect to your device over BT.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post: