Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
NOT FOR USE ON 43-7 or above - NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

READ ALL -- USE WITH CAUTION -- For advanced users who can fix thier own system

This was due to the many many request for an easy to partition scipt, and ability to use ext3 and the ability to use more than one bootable partition.

The deb still works and is quick and dirty, but this works great if you want to specify some values.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

WHATS NEW!
Specify FAT size
Specify SWAP size
Specify ext2 or ext3
Specify 1 or 2 cloned partition (mix and match ext2/3)
If you choose multiple ext2 or ext3 (or both) partitions the remaining space not used for SWAP and FAT will be split evenly across the two partitions.
Specify TIMEOUT value for bootmenu

WHATS OLD!
This will destroy ALL DATA on your SD CARD
This will add ALL = ALL to ALL cloned partitions (ie gives you root by typing "sudo su -" also runs any command as root by typing sudo before it)
All cloned partitions will mount swap partition automatically

Its really not simpler than this No matter how some of those threads are named

If you are not comfortable at the command line, then perhaps this tool is not right for you

Download tarball
SCRIPT UPDATED 11:30EST 5/29/08
http://penguinbait.com/install-tools-ad.tgz
Instructions and tarball updated - sorry for the inconvenience

Place in /root

open xterm

cd /root
tar zxvf install-tools-ad.tgz

This will then make

/root/install-tools (it has to be in this location to work)

cd /root/install-tools

To clone your system CREATE INTERNAL.txt or EXTERNAL.txt depending on which card you want to work with.

so you need a file existing here

ONLY LET ONE FILE EXIST AT A TIME, THIS WORKS GREAT BUT NEEDS MORE CHECKS AND BALANCES.

/root/install-tools/EXTERNAL.txt
OR
/root/install-tools/INTERNAL.txt

(see /root/install-tools/INTERNAL.txt-SAMPLE EXTERNAL.txt-SAMPLE)

Create a file called INTERNAL.txt or EXTERNAL.txt which contains the following: (between the lines not including them)
--------------
FAT 148 (SIZE IN MB)
SWAP 356 (SIZE IN MB)
1 ext2 (PARTITION is EXT2)
2 ext3 (PARTITION is EXT3)
TIMEOUT 11 (# OF SECONDS TO WAIT)
-------------

VALID CONFIGURATION FILES
-----------
FAT 148
SWAP 356
1 ext2
2 ext3
TIMEOUT 11

-----------
FAT 5
SWAP 356
1 ext3
TIMEOUT 5

-----------
FAT 128
SWAP 5
1 ext2
2 ext3
TIMEOUT 11
-----------

NOT VALID CONFIGURATION FILES

MUST HAVE FAT
-----------
SWAP 356
1 ext2
2 ext3
TIMEOUT 11

MUST HAVE SWAP
-----------
FAT 50
1 ext3
2 ext2
TIMEOUT 11

MUST HAVE TIMEOUT
-----------
FAT 128
SWAP 5
1 ext3

Now that you have created EXTERNAL.txt or INTERNAL.txt its time to do the cloning

cd /root/install-tools
(MAKE SURE SWAP (VIRTUAL MEMORY) FILE IS OFF IN CONTROL PANEL)
./clone.sh (Same script now for both 800 and 810)

BOOTMENU INFO (AND SPECIAL THANKS TO FANOUSH)
Go here to find official bootmenu packages
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

This will scan your partitions on all available SD cards and add them to bootmenu for you. So if you install this on internal and then you install it on external, ALL the entries would be available for booting.

There may be additional versions with more checks and balances and some code cleanup. I was originally going to try to do many more partitions and I may again resume it later, but for now it is 2MAX bootable per card. I should probably clean it up now but I only have so much time, so functional is downloadable

AS Always make sure everything is backed up, you never know what might happen. Please let me know how it goes.

Supported Versions, (Not tested on 770)
Nokia 770 - IT2006 versions 1.2006.26-8, 2.2006.39-14, 3.2006.49-2, IT2007 hacker edition 2.2006.48-7, 4.2007.36-2
N800 - IT2007 versions 2.2006.51-6, 3.2007.10-7, 4.2007.26-8, 4.2007.38-2

N800,N810 - IT2008 versions 1.2007.42-18, 1.2007.42-19, 2.2007.50-2, 4.2008.23-14 (Diablo), 4.2008.30-2 (first Diablo update), 4.2008.36-5
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-12-20 at 21:09.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Great timing - on the day I decided to partition/clone to my internal card!

Edit: now that your site is up again (thanks!) Can you give us a filesize so we make sure we have a good download?

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 2008-05-29 at 17:14.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Any potential suspected conflicts with other previously installed software?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Everything worked with 800-clone.sh except swap. I get an error warning that given size (x) exceeds max allowable size (0). I've tried 356 and 256 for x.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Everything worked with 800-clone.sh except swap. I get an error warning that given size (x) exceeds max allowable size (0). I've tried 356 and 256 for x.

Any thoughts?
Somethings not working it sounds like, can you post full log.

you can debug by running

sh -x 800-clone.sh 2> err.log

Also please POST the INTERNAL.txt or EXTERNAL.txt that you used?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Great timing - on the day I decided to partition/clone to my internal card!

Edit: now that your site is up again (thanks!) Can you give us a filesize so we make sure we have a good download?
http://penuinbait.com/md5sum.gz

install-tools-ad.tgz
66bcc292b7401f3bb252fdff1100fd30

If you want to check it

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-30 at 03:54.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Any potential suspected conflicts with other previously installed software?
Nope,but you do need 20MB freespace in flash to complete clone

Here's the INTERNAL.txt mostly copied from the sample one.

---
FAT 256
SWAP 256
LINUX 1
1 ext2
TIMEOUT 15
---

Attached is the error log, which is doing something different now. I removed partitions from the card, made it one big FAT partition instead. It doesn't do anything to partition it either... and I should mention I am running as root...

The initfs seems to have installed OK. I get the boot menu. Actually the first time it worked but never really repartitioned either - my stuff was all still there. It must have overwritten something in my existing ext2 partition, for some reason. No idea why it actually booted successfully, unless it didn't and failed back to the flash - but it seemed to work.

I'm in rescue mode right now. I'll be back once I'm running again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt errlog.txt (3.6 KB, 255 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Here's the INTERNAL.txt mostly copied from the sample one.

---
FAT 256
SWAP 256
LINUX 1
1 ext2
TIMEOUT 15
---

Attached is the error log, which is doing something different now. I removed partitions from the card, made it one big FAT partition instead. It doesn't do anything to partition it either... and I should mention I am running as root...

The initfs seems to have installed OK. I get the boot menu. Actually the first time it worked but never really repartitioned either - my stuff was all still there. It must have overwritten something in my existing ext2 partition, for some reason. No idea why it actually booted successfully, unless it didn't and failed back to the flash - but it seemed to work.

I'm in rescue mode right now. I'll be back once I'm running again.
You should run this script 1 time, if it fails, REBOOT, run it again.

As the ERROR shows:

SD CARD NOT ABLE TO MOUNT AFTER PARTITIONING
TRY EJECTING SD CARD AND RE-RUN THE INSTALL SCRIPT
IF YOU EJECTED IT AND IT FAILED AGAIN REBOOT AND RE-RUN THE SCRIPT

Dont do anything to the partitions between the reboot and rerun of the script.

Please also send me the screen output for the run.

sh -x 800-clone.sh > run.log 2> err.log

Thanks,

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Well I tried it, I tried it about 5 times. Managed to wipe out both external and internal SD on my 810.
Kept getting errors that memory was wrong size.
If I try it again, I'll save the errors.
Went and tried the DEB, that errored out, I reran it and it seems successful. So now I have what I consider 1 fair clone
THANKS!!
Oh, by the way, when you use some of those colors in your fonts here they are virtually unreadable on my screen.
PLEASE use the Wiki