Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
And then the topic of "well it doesn't have an IR transmitter" comes into play. Well...

http://lifehacker.com/5817504/turn-y...-10-with-blinq - 5 second Google search.
This IR adapter "solution" made me smile

never try it in the football bar without the optional iTazer accessory

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itaz...301042344?mt=8

x seconds DuckDuckGo search

Jailbreaking iPhones with each OS software update makes me tired but the only software that ever made me envy the Jailbroken iPhone concept is the firewall "Firewall IP" that will proactively alert the user of outgoing connections (and there are plenty on the iDevice)

http://iphonemonsta.com/firewall-ip-...ad-cydia-tweak

Is it still under active development and confirmed working on iOS 7?

Stop acting childish, the N900 TV adapter was sold separately and was not cheap either. Your argument fails.
Really? Then, a snake in the form of Nokia's TV-out cable must have accidentally sneaked inside my N900 box.

And, it's not an adapter. Nokia devices from past didn't require any stupid adapters. You could buy such a cable anywhere. Even camcorders used such cables.

Last edited by patlak; 2014-05-31 at 10:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It was included in the box.
He's trying to "inform" us about the iPhone, and yet he doesn't know what the N900 came with.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This is where you and a good portion of this community disagree. You mean to tell me that the iPhone and iOS is not a valid platform for developers simply because it is intended for the masses. I can gain root access to filing system, I can install SSHd, I can install a VNC server, I can do many things that you can do with BSD without loosing the functionality of the intended purpose. I believe your position and the position of many here is informed by an ideology and misinformation about the capabilities of iOS, and a jailbroken iOS (which I have informed many about, hence the reasoning for this post).
The problem with jailbreaking is that it is unsupported by the device manufacturer, and AFAIK Apple is even actively trying to prevent people from doing it by closing the security holes that are used to implement the jailbreak. (The same limitations apply to WP devices also...)

Hence, when you have a jailbroken device you cannot really be sure of the integrity of it any longer, and you are also lacking the OS upgrade path and need to do it all over from the beginning if you want to get an up-to-date OS.
I have been told that many of the functionalities of the jailbroken devices are not implemented very well and work more or less haphazardly due to the obfuscated nature of the device, as developers and hackers work pretty much in the dark due to the closed nature of the device.

It just seems so silly to fight an uphill battle, when instead you actually can get a device that is developer-friendly and that lets you can gain root access by using manufacturer-approved process.
A device where you can install both official OS upgrades and your own tweaks/modifications/applications by same package manager (and where you can indeed create your own packages on the device itself if you so desire)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Reading this thread I get a little confused about what devices can and can't do (correct or not). How about folks submit a list of features to directly compare with the different OS that are currently available, Android, IOS, Sailfish, MS. Maybe Maemo + others if you wish. Then set up a grid with yes and no for each feature. Of course there may be some debate on whether the box should have a yes or no and different features may have different levels of performance so it is ok to perhaps have an asterick if further qualifiaction is needed. You could also make a distinction between Android out of the box and a rooted Android device, IOS out of the box and jailbroken IOS for example. I'm not good at making these things (only suggesting!) so maybe someone, hopefully unbiased, can take the lead. Might learn something...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Comparing cloud based storage to local storage? The reality distortion field is strong with this one.

I've read your whole post but i'm not even going to bother rebuking it because its a bunch of biased uninformed crap,

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think anyone who lives in city (as opposed to a rural area) would have plenty of WiFi hotspots.
Hmm. You know, I haven't thought about that much, but the "rural area" consideration is interesting. Here in Ohio, cell tower coverage is pretty miserable (all the providers other than Verizon only seem to have a presence in the major cities and along the larger highways, and even Verizon has plenty of large gaps across the state). Moreover, public WiFi hotspots are uncommon (and practically non-existent outside of city boundaries). If you're going to be doing any serious mobile computing here, you need your mobile computer to be useful without internet access.

Apple (or really, Steve Jobs, as this was mainly his concept) designed the iPod/iPhone/iPad small device lineup specifically to be "client" devices; the intention being that you connect your iDevice up to a real computer (either your own or something in the cloud), sync / download a copy of some of your media/files, disconnect and consume your media, then reconnect again. And with the move to streaming media, you're encouraged to stay connected continuously.

Android & Windows have copied this concept. Really, none of today's "smartphones" are designed to be independent computing devices. You may not care about this if you live in an area with pervasive internet access, but here I'm reminded about it daily...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Whole "smartphone" industry is built with the only purpose: feeding consumers with crap they actually don't need. Hmm...I've just realized one thing: some time ago I would use a word "customer", but today I'm struggling to do that, because "consumer" is what 98% of former customers have turned into, in a mere consumer of something.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Last edited by xanderx; 2014-06-02 at 17:54.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
juiceme has already said it but the problem with this comparison is that you're comparing a jailbroken device with a stock device.

As soon as you jailbreak an iPhone, bang goes your warranty, OS updates and certainty of what works today will work tomorrow.

One of the things which pisses me off with even jailbroken iOS devices, and perhaps this is no longer the case with the right jailbreak tool and a patched kernel, is iOS's task scheduler will close tasks down if put in the background after 10 minutes. It's not unusual for me to have a website open reading docs and an ssh terminal working. On iOS you have to remember to keep switching between Safari and ssh (I use Panic's excellent Prompt app). I rarely bump into that problem on a Nexus 7 with stock Android and NEVER on an N900 or Jolla.

Why would I void warranty when I don't have to on other platforms; platforms that are much cheaper too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I was mistaken about the cable, I don't recall what came in the box in November 2008. I don't see how it has this huge relevance.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Reading this thread I get a little confused about what devices can and can't do (correct or not). How about folks submit a list of features to directly compare with the different OS that are currently available, Android, IOS, Sailfish, MS. Maybe Maemo + others if you wish. Then set up a grid with yes and no for each feature. Of course there may be some debate on whether the box should have a yes or no and different features may have different levels of performance so it is ok to perhaps have an asterick if further qualifiaction is needed. You could also make a distinction between Android out of the box and a rooted Android device, IOS out of the box and jailbroken IOS for example. I'm not good at making these things (only suggesting!) so maybe someone, hopefully unbiased, can take the lead. Might learn something...
Yes, that is a good idea and a not so good idea. I think there are things that everyone can fundamentally agree are important, such as SSHd and being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools. The disagreement I have with I perceive to be the disagreement is things that not all people find to be important or even relevant such as an FM transmitter or IR transmitter. For example the vast majority of cars built after 2010 not only have an AUX input but they have a little docking stand for your device that charges it and controls the device with the in car display. Thus I would make the argument that even though the iPhone does not have an FM transmitter it is just as good, if not better than a device with an FM transmitter with the majority of cars built after 2010. I don't think running emacs on your phone is important, I don't think having an IR transmitter on your phone is relevant anymore (especially when so many TVs are switching over to Bluetooth)

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post: