Active Topics

How do you install tomtom 6 (palm version) on this emulator?

thanks.

Last edited by lmf; 2007-11-14 at 00:12.

I doubt it's possible. First, TT uses armlets (ARM-code), not m68k, and armlet-code has been reported not to work so well already (maybe this is surprising, as ARM is the native format for both Garnet and NIT, but it was probably easier to just port Garnet's m68k-to-ARM engine (used to run all m68k PalmOS apps, which are the majority) to OS200x than it is to translate raw ARM code meant for the Garnet kernel to the OS200x kernel.
Secondly, TomTom uses the serial code of the device to calculate the device ID which is used when generating a license key, and there is no serial code equivalent in the GVM as far as I know.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-11-14 at 20:31.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I doubt it's possible. First, TT uses armlets (ARM-code), not m68k, and armlet-code has been reported not to work so well already (maybe this is surprising, as ARM is the native format for both Garnet and NIT, but it was probably easier to just port Garnet's m68k-to-ARM engine (used to run all m68k PalmOS apps, which are the majority) to OS200x than it is to translate raw ARM code meant for the Garnet kernel to the OS200x kernel.
Secondly, TomTom uses the serial code of the device to calculate the device ID which is used when generating a license key, and there is no serial code equivalent in the GVM as far as I know.
Thanks for the tip. I was just wodering about this...
It would be cool though if we could have tomtom running on a tablet too...

If anyone manages to install it, please post it here.
thanks.

I may have a go at copying TT for PalmOS (the one before version 5) to the GVM just to see what happens. Not yet though. Obviously it wouldn't actually navigate because I don't intend to try to get the product code working, but it would be interesting to see if it starts up (and get to the product code nag page). It would be interesting because this is, AFAIK, a native ARM app, not an m68k application.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
There are ways around the serial code for TomTom from what I see... Does the Palm-u-lator recognize devices connected to the Tablet via BT?

@YoDude: Don't know, but I will install a couple of GPS-aware applictions (cotoGPS, CetusGPS) and check if they see my BT GPS. However, as the GVM Hotsync doesn't know about BT (only wi-fi) I'm not overly optimistic.

EDIT: No luck with that, both applications complained 'No mathlib installed', and I'm not going to install mathlib.prc for sure.. the previous time I did that (because pocketsat+ also complained) it totally bricked the GVM and I had to not only de-install but do a full decontamination cycle too before I could use it again.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-11-15 at 01:25.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thanks TA... I didn't think so either.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-11-15 at 01:43.

I did get TomTom V5 to work on my N82...The new TomTom's (920 I know of) run on Linux so one would think it that maybe the newer versions might....not a programmer so I can not help there...

Off topic, when I lease a car it is a lot less than buying AND I can purchase it after the lease term..NOT SO with Nokia maps....Nokia maps are the same price as the TomTom software which I would own..not a good business model.... which is why I am not using their software, google maps with traffic is free....

BTW, the GPS on the N82 is very fast whereas the N810 works only outside and s-l-o-w....

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
AFAIK the Tom Tom One is a Linux based device.
I've got once the full executables, but was not able to run it.
(I think I tried it on the 770, but can't remember what was the problem).

Anyway it's probably the fastest way to "port" tom tom on the tablet.

Tags
garnet, palm