Active Topics

I know some people don't like the iPhone, well, too bad. It has a pretty nice interface in my opinion. That being said, the N800 has much potential, however, its interface isn't the best thats available. So I can't do anything about that.

What I can do however, is make a Maemo Theme that makes the N800 look like an iPhone.

I can't do this by myself. The first step, would logically be to find icons. So these are the Icons I could dig up.

I will be showing the default Icon, and the iPhone Theme replacement Icon, if you can find a better icon then please post it

If you are good at making Icons, your help would be appreciated! We might have to modify some of the iPhone icons so they match the N800 (OS2007/OS2008) equivalents.

-----------------

Contacts qgn_grid_tasknavigator_contact.png

iPhone

Active Contact qgn_grid_tasknavigator_contactactive.png

iPhone

Mail / Inbox qgn_grid_tasknavigator_inbox.png

iPhone

New message qgn_grid_tasknavigator_newmessage.png

iPhone

Sending / Receiving qgn_grid_tasknavigator_sendrecieve.png

iPhone

Web Browser qgn_grid_tasknavigator_web.png

iPhone

Others / Menu qgn_grid_tasknavigator_others.png

I'll update this post with the status bar icons and whatever. The icons are currently updating, so the ones above I have taken care off.

Last edited by Beni; 2007-11-24 at 03:30.

Might wanna check Theme Maker out.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
No offense, but anyone who thinks that merely changing icons, images, and location of widgets from one set to another makes up a difference in user interfaces (ie. turns any device "into an iPhone") has such a trite understanding of user interfaces that it's not worth bothering. (and, this is exactly the mentality that has kept me off of linux for years: people think that putting a new theme on to enlightenment somehow improves the user experience ... it's like putting an oak veneer over balsa wood: it may be pretty, but it's not something you'd build a foot-bridge out of)

While "look" does have some amount of importance in a UI, the important part is behaviors. Changing a set of icons isn't going to do anything that borrows from the important parts of the iPhone.

Want Maemo to have a more iPhone like experience, make everything usable with thumb and finger events by default. Implement inertial scrolling. Make it so that included applications that partially implement something, fully implement it (ie. the built in IMAP client). And make it transparent to the user to keep data (documents, contacts, etc.) in sync with standard desktop systems (at _least_ windows and mac, but it'd be a good idea to at least include ubuntu, as well).

Those are the kinds of things that make the user experience of the iPhone valuable. Not something as trivial as icons.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
I already said that I couldn't do anything to the actual interface so icons would be the best that I could do...

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
johnkzin, I think you should lighten up and take Beni's effort in the spirit it is intended... as a "theming" of the interface, not a modification.

You obviously have a bone to pick about theming or the maemo interface or something... hopefully you feel better now that you got it off your chest.

But it hardly seems fair to take it out on Beni. You were downright insulting and I think you owe him an apology.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Sorry, you're both right. It's a huge pet peeve of mine (like I said, I have had a huge issue with all of the people talking about linux gui's for years, when they're really just dealing with the look and not the whole user experience; though I actually really like the Maemo gui). But I shouldn't have allowed that to be vented in a way that comes out as an attack on you.

I'm sorry.

And I do hope you still finish what you're doing.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2007-11-24 at 07:22.

Originally Posted by Syntra View Post
Might wanna check Theme Maker out.
Thanks!

@John

Its alright. If it were possible, I'd love what you described on my n800 though

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
You may also want to check out this stunning (IMHO)collection of icons, called Reflective icons over at kde-look.

Last edited by linuxrebel; 2007-11-24 at 08:34.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Maybe I should point out that Apple owns the copyright on those icons. You can redesign similar ones yourself, but just copying the png files from one device to another is a copyright violation.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Yeah, good points about the copyright violations there.

I'm almost there with theme maker for chinook, but not quite. I'll try to release test version for the people who want to start making themes. It's not perfect even then, but already perfectly usable for the designers ... I hope