Active Topics

I just install gizmoproject on my n800 and I have to say it works better than skype. I called a few people using skype and all complaint about how choppy my voice is when on skype. Now I did the same thing from gizmoproject no complaints at all and some thought i was on a landline :P . I have all the ports skype needs to be open for good call quality and still sounds bad and i havent set not even one of the ports gizmoproject needs and sounds excellent Would love to hear other users experiences with both apps later!

The Following User Says Thank You to loaderr For This Useful Post:
Yes, I agree, Gizmo on the N810 definitely works better and sounds better than Skype.
But the sad thing is most of my friends and family are on Skype and just one contact I know is on Gizmo. That is the advantage that Skype holds - cause moving all my friends to Gizmo is a difficult task uless skype really throws down the ball.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I paid $30 to be able to call anyone's landline from Skype. Does Gizmo have the equivalent? I haven't been happy with Skype's call quality -- right now I'm using an N800 with os2008 so Skype doesn't work anyway...

Gizmo outcall-anywhere (to most kinds of phones) starts at $10 for up to 500 minutes. Works great.

For incalls from any phone, Gizmo charges about $30/yr for a pre-assigned 747#.

BUT, you can bypass Gizmo and get a free phone number from Google's grandcentral.com that can forward your incall to Gizmo for FREE. They also offer many, many other free options and services for your number.

The Grandcentral incall # can be a phone number local to your family or friends to call you free on their cells/landline from. Online settings allow incoming calls to be re-directed to any of your land or cell lines you choose, as well as your IT. Again, for FREE!

This should be a big selling point for Gizmo, AFAIC, and the combination w/ Grandcentral beats Skype in about every way.

Last edited by lad; 2007-12-12 at 18:27.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Orlando, FL
Is there a quick way to get Grand Central invite

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
If you just need a US telephone number (Washington state number) that people can call, and those calls gets redirected to your Gizmo Project, you can use www.ipkall.com. It is free and worked fine last time I used it.

The downside is that if you do not use it, they cancel your account after about a month... But since it is free, nothing to lose!

I have been using Gizmo with my N800 for 3 or 4 months. Calling out can be frustrating because it does not always connect, but there is ringing on the end of the person that you are calling. It may take 2 or more tries, but when it does work though, it works great. I have been sipping on the same $10 that I bought when I downloaded it.

I did go for the call in number, thinking that I would use it more often than I do, but Grand Central pretty much takes care of everything. All incoming calls have had no trouble.

Send me an email if you want an invitation for Grand Central.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
The one thing I like about the Gizmo project is the ability to use the integrated SIP client in OS2008 (I use the N800 beta) this works great and means I don't have to use a bloated client just to call people. I prefer not to have to leave Gizmo or programs open all the time or try to minimise them to the task bar just to receive a call.

And the wonderful thing about Gizmo is you can call other standard Sip phones like Ekiga for example on another network.

The only downfall with the integrated SIP client was things like Caller ID doesn't seem to work for me with calls coming from Gizmo. I am sure there is a way around it, I just haven't looked too hard.

I used the info on http://support.gizmoproject.com/inde...kbarticleid=83 to set my integrated SIP client up for Gizmo

-Rip

i used gizmo on my trip to thee philippines. it was ok to use, and definitely better than skype since it was't yyet available foor the os2008. i called back to the states and only used 2.00 dollars for almost 60 minutes of use. a ceellphone chargges 2.00 a miinute.
call quality was decent, people could hear me, and i heard otheers clearly. not landline quality but decent. gizmo was a good investment for me. made my n800 worth every penny.

If SIP (Gizmo) works better, why even consider proprietary Skype? I never understand why people must always fall in love with companies like Skype?