Active Topics

Google on the forum has not produced an answer, so maybe asking will

I am looking for an IRC client for the N800 running 2008. I have tried pidgin and it works but it's not that good an IRC client.

gronmayer.com/it lists xchat as available in Maemo Hackers, that fails install wanting some libraries that gronmayer says are available in Maemo Chinook, but adding that repository doesn't find them and xchat still won't install.

Any other clients? Any success in getting xchat working on OS2008?

Zebee

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Google: skyhusker xchat chinook

http://zeus.rm-fr.net/~skyhusker/xchat-chinook-betas/

Never woulda guessed that in a thousand years, would you (though I have mentioned it more than once somewhere around here )?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
The drawbacks of searching I guess - I was trying to narrow down to 2008 after wading through a lot of threads about 2006 so added OS2008 and got nothing. (Hence liberal googlebait of IRC client for OS2008 get your Xchat here!)

And have to search on OS2008 as otherwise you get dates

Thanks for that. Installed and working fine.

Zebee

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Also, the new RTCOMM beta update allows you to connect to IRC using the built-in chat function.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Also, the new RTCOMM beta update allows you to connect to IRC using the built-in chat function.
It works, some of the time. The rest of the time it says "Network Error" and nothing else so it's impossible to know what went wrong.

If you have a Linux/Unixish box somewhere, you can use a terminal based IRC client like irssi and a program called screen. Then you can SSH into that machine and continue using IRC as if you were at that machine.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Search tip: When searching google for apps, try replacing the OS version with the OS "release name" if you don't find what you're looking for:
OS2006 = mistral, scirocco, gregale
OS2007 = bora
OS2008 = chinook
OS2009 = diablo

EDIT: fixed typo: OS2008 is chinook. should have hit preview...

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-03-03 at 12:12. Reason: fixed a typo...

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I also find adding "maemo" helps with finding NIT specific builds of generic linux apps.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Search tip: When searching google for apps, try replacing the OS version with the OS "release name" if you don't find what you're looking for:
OS2006 = mistral, scirocco, gregale
OS2007 = bora
OS2007 = chinook
OS2009 = diablo
Don't you mean: OS2008 = chinook ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Xchat works fine after you add the hildon stuff it complains about being missing. And after you add them, Pan, the newsreader, also works.