Active Topics

Hi, this is my firs post blah blah blah and the same think that everybody says when posting for first time.

I am waiting for my N800 to arrive, so I am doing a lot of reading of what I can do to this gadget.

I read a lot about KDE, but because I don't have a ITT yet.

I will like to know,
what are the advantages of KDE?

Rafael

PS
Please if this answer is already in some post in the page X, send me the link so I can read and have knowledge about it.

- PIM
- KOffice

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by rafaelefucho View Post
Hi, this is my firs post blah blah blah and the same think that everybody says when posting for first time.

I am waiting for my N800 to arrive, so I am doing a lot of reading of what I can do to this gadget.

I read a lot about KDE, but because I don't have a ITT yet.

I will like to know,
what are the advantages of KDE?

Rafael

PS
Please if this answer is already in some post in the page X, send me the link so I can read and have knowledge about it.
Go through the thread entitled "KOffice it's bee a productive month..." There's lot's of screen shots, reviews etc...

Basically, the advantage of KDE on the IT is a computer in your pocket. It's got more apps than I know what to do with (although I'm trying); I can run KDE apps and most Maemo apps (after making a desktop shortcut); I've got full PIM (that works); KOffice Suite; full customization of the desktop and most of the UI - I could go on and on

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Basically, the advantage of KDE on the IT is a computer in your pocket. It's got more apps than I know what to do with (although I'm trying); I can run KDE apps and most Maemo apps (after making a desktop shortcut); I've got full PIM (that works); KOffice Suite; full customization of the desktop and most of the UI - I could go on and on
Welcome to the forums! Spend some time reading and you'll likely want to try it. PinCushion's got it right. I too haven't been able able to get to all of KDE but I am trying (much to the chagrin of my wife!) =) Apps like Kword and KSpread really much faster than I originally thought, and I've got the desktop envirnoment tweaked just about right. This is an amazing development for the IT, imo and I'm grateful to Penguinbait for bringing it to us!

So I is more easy to port applications for KDE than Maemo?
or is the same??

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by rafaelefucho View Post
So I is more easy to port applications for KDE than Maemo?
or is the same??
The advantage is you can compile apps out of the box and to not need to modify any code to port them (well, modify any code to hildonize anyway)
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

can koffice read microsoft files (i.e. ppt, doc, xls)

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
One thing not mentioned here yet: Printing. Sometimes this is really useful.
Other secondary functions: multiple desktops with resizable windows, full customization possible and in general: full desktop experience

I've been reading a lot of things about KDE @ N8XX, but I haven't found yet anything about the RAM memory that remains after booting KDE. Is it the same that remains when booting OS2008, less or more? (waiting for my N800 this week).

Thanks in advance!

so correct me if I am wrong.

The pros of KDE is:

-turning the N800 in a portable desktop
-Have Koffice great for documents and the go (ppt, doc, xls, and so on).
-you can compile apps out of the box and to not need to modify any code to port them (well, modify any code to hildonize anyway) {This is great for me }
-full desktop experience
- PIM

Did I miss something?

Tags
kde, kde35