Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
My apology if this isn't the right place for this post but there was nothing I could do coz I couldn't find forum in jalimo site. So, the problem is that, I have installed jalimo in my N810 and I have the "Jalimo SWT Example" and "Jalimo SWT Example 2" running fine. I also wrote the simple "HelloWorld" java application, compiled in my computer and transfered it to my IT and was able to get the output in the command line by giving "cacao HelloWorld" command. Then I took one step up to the "SWT Sample Application". Wrote it, set the classpath in the "Environment Variable" to swt.jar which I downloaded from SWT site and compiled it. All went very right and even got the output as well. Then I transferred to my IT to mmc2 and wrote the command like:

/media/mmc2 $ cacao -cp /usr/share/java/swt-gtk.jar SimpleSwtSample

and I got the following exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: SimpleSwtSample not found in java.lang.ClassLoader$1{urls=[file:/usr/share/java/swt-gtk.jar], parent=null}

<<No stacktrace available>>

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SimpleSwtSample not found in java.lang.ClassLoader$1{urls=[file:/usr/share/java/swt-gtk.jar], parent=null}

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:529)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 41)

at java.lang.ClassLoader$1.loadClass(ClassLoader.java :1112)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 93)

/media/mmc2 #

And I got stuck. So, please help me through. Thanks..

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Disclaimer: Never used that stuff, BUT SUN's java would fail as well here. Try

cacao -cp /path/to/jar:. YourClassName

Note the ":." to append the current directory to the classpath.

Hope that helps?

Edit: On a sidenote: Setting the classpath via an environment variable is frowned upon in the java world. Stick to the parameters ;-)

Last edited by darklajid; 2008-07-28 at 09:21. Reason: Addition regarding classpath setting

Thanks man...it did help.

Do you have any screenshots? Can the apps be made to fit in with Hildon?

sorry man, i don't know how to put pics in here. I tried but it asked for a url.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Upload the pictures somewhere (flicker, picasa, whatever)?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Jalimo's bundle includes SWT and auto-Hildonisation of SWT apps.

I'm currently unsure whether Java or Vala is the better language for developing for the tablets. Java's got the advantage of tooling, maturity and a rich class-library. Vala has the advantage of native compilation, base library integration (Gtk, Hildon and DBUS).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Java, in its current state, is definitely not a good tool to develop for embedded devices. A J2ME-compatible JVM would be nice to have on the tablet though. But, as far as I know, Jalimo does not implement J2ME yet.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
And PhoneME is kinda dead for the tablet :/

However Jalimo is kind of nice, there's even swing support even though it's not official
It's enough to run some of my simpler programs... albeit extremely slowly...

Is there an available true-compiler that we can build for our tablets?

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Hi, where can I find API Docs for this jalimo coz I just couldn't take any furthur setp on writing java under jalimo of my own. And how does jalimo support swing. Also, I found that lot of java classes aren't supported by jalimo. For eg: I wrote a simple command line program using scanner class of java. i could compile and run it in my computer but failed to do so in my IT. So, please help me keep going. Thanks.