Active Topics

Notices

Anyone know if there's an emulator for GP2X games for Maemo? I'm curious to try out some of the games, but I'm not up for spending the extra money on yet another tech toy just for curiosity purposes.

*bump* Anyone know of an emulator for these kind of games? If not, can someone please write one? TIA.

Which GP2X games did you have in mind?

Well, any that run on the GP2X platform mostly. I'm just looking for an emulator that'll run any of them currently. After I tinker with a few, I'll figure out which ones I want to keep.

It looks like a full-on emulator is not the best way to do this. They both run Linux on the same type of processor, so you should be able to get many programs running by using the same libraries as the GP2X. I hear that you can do this with chroot. It'll probably need a wrapper for SDL, to have on-screen replacement for the hardware controls, as well as keeping it to the resolution of the original console.

A few programs likely take advantage of the GP2X hardware on a low level, so those probably won't work.

Well, is there a way to do this? Can someone write a quick and dirty tutorial on how to? It'd be much appreciated.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
No one has ever done this as far as I know. It's all just theory until someone actually goes ahead and gives it a try.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Well, any that run on the GP2X platform mostly. I'm just looking for an emulator that'll run any of them currently. After I tinker with a few, I'll figure out which ones I want to keep.
Which ones exactly? Could you post a list? Do you even know what games are exclusive to GP2X platform?

Well, I don't know which are exclusive. And I don't have a list yet. If there was a GP2X emulator for Windows or Linux, I could try out a few and give you a list.

EDIT: Part of the idea behind emulating these is I saw the new Gamepark GP2X Wiz that runs GP2X games. So I figured that the games would be reasonably compatible.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2008-09-15 at 17:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Which ones exactly? Could you post a list? Do you even know what games are exclusive to GP2X platform?
I don't have a GP2X, so I'm not sure what libs it uses, with the exception of libSDL. There should be someway to download a flash image, and then mount it as a loop-back, then we could pull all the libraries very easily.

As for exclusive games, there aren't very many. However, most of the emulators are highly optimized, so even though it has a slower processor than the ITs, the games run smoother. Since they run the basic processor, the games should run decently on a IT.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
No one has ever done this as far as I know. It's all just theory until someone actually goes ahead and gives it a try.
Yeah. Unfortunately my IT is in the shop, so I can't try it right now. Additionally, I've only used chroot once, following the instructions to install Gentoo from a Live CD. I got the idea from talk on the Pandora handheld (a homebrew GP2X successor) forums about running Maemo apps on it. Still a theory there as well.