Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm a bit surprised about the little discussion generated by our call to support cool projects.

http://flors.wordpress.com/2008/10/1...ll-innovators/
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/001090.html

Was the call so casual that it ended up being unclear?

We want to support a bunch of projects getting ready for primetime the same day maemo 5 is released. And we propose the community to help out selecting those projects.

What kind of support? Whatever those cool projects under development need to be stable and exciting for real users. You tell us and we will do our best helping you.

If you have questions ask. But don't let this for next week because we would like to have a list of proposals by the end of the month, decide soon the projects to support and start working with them.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
liqbase, it would be really amazing to see that app in the "prime time" status. Its already so good as a beta software!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
hi,

Although I have some ideas for a couple projects that could change the tablet (at least for me), for the near future i could only help with mYTube (plenty of work to do - integration with dailymotion, etc...).
So any support for this project will be really helpful ( btw thanks for the N810, i finally got it after the French free devices mistake ).

Anyway, for those who can help, here are some other ideas for which i don't have the free time to do:
- google notes/calendar/todo - with proper/friendly sync with the server and a fast gui (not sure if omap3 has the power to make these g-apps usable directly from the browser). On the other hand G1 has all these apps enabled, worth checking if something can be reused from there. This will help dudes about which google already knows everything .
- a better bluetooth integration with the phone. I got to a point where the voice was routed through another subsystem and it could not be recorded/played. Not sure if maemo5 changes anything here.

Cheers,
Mihai

Last edited by iancumihai; 2008-10-22 at 15:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to iancumihai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by iancumihai View Post
- google notes/calendar/todo - with proper/friendly sync with the server and a fast gui (not sure if omap3 has the power to make these g-apps usable directly from the browser). On the other hand G1 has all these apps enabled, worth checking if something can be reused from there. This will help dudes about
I would add, OFFLINE google notes/calendar, and since they don't have todo, get something like RTM or Toodledo offline too.

The NIT is getting spanked in these avenues by every up-and-coming device there is... maybe the device just isn't capable of running a decent calendar app?

I see Gary has also proposed liqbase on the maemo list.

I hope Quim saw that, because it certainly looks to me like it fits the bill !

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
i was hoping for more projects to pop-up from this request.
in the end it's about improving the NIT.

Last edited by iancumihai; 2008-10-23 at 07:20. Reason: typo

Perhaps another thing to ask (probably in another thread) is what people think would be really cool apps, the sort of thing that would be so indispensible or so cool that it would make them buy/upgrade/etc. - even if these apps don't yet exist (or do but need some changes made to them). This is (IMO) mainly about getting people collaborating, so if there are some good ideas, people should talk and get coding.

And try to be realistic

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Hum. How about that old saw, a native Maemo Calendar that syncs with Google and SyncML (at least) ? :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Shall we start a maemo.org wiki page for these - namely a "killer app" wiki page, on which people can add (realistic) features and others can comment about whether certain items already exist (see the -developers mailing list post about location data for example), could be brought in, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Not sure if that Wiki page got made yet... but suggestion: What about a really good Alarm Clock app? I don't know what plans Nokia has to improve/change the current clock app if any, but since there's now public documentation on how to use the "alarm" interface, I don't see why it would be impossible to build a better mousetrap so to speak. There are good examples of full-screen clocks out there (mClock or the clock in MediaBox... I think it's MediaBox anyways), but none of them have alarm interfaces, or allow for any kind of really common but cool alarm features. i.e.
Awesome alarm clock must-haves:
- LARGE clock display... the home applet clock doesn't cut it here, like, we're talking big enough to see when you're groggy and just waking up in the morning, so you know how much longer you can sleep/how many times you can hit the snooze button. Probably don't want "full screen mode", since you don't want to commit your NIT entirely to the clock... but just full regular app size would be good.
- More Alarm time choices... How about, only weekdays for example?? or at least the ability to just disable alarms on certain days (i.e. weekends) and re-enable them later.
- More Alarm Options... So right now you can choose to play the first 30 seconds or so of an MP3.. great, but what about playing the entire song? or turning on the FM radio on the N800 (yea I know this is possible, but again you'd want one place to go and do all this)? or heck, even get that lovely little LED blinking as well as an extra option. ALSO, what about actually allowing the alarm sound to be routed through the headphone jack? One of the most annoying features right now is that no matter what you do, the alarm sound will only ever play on the NIT's speakers; if I'm at home and have the thing hooked up to the stereo in my room to listen to music at night, why can't I have that same stereo wake me up with some music in the morning?
- BIGGER BUTTONS... this kind of ties in with the first point, but I think the size of the "snooze" and "oaky turn off" buttons should be much larger... again simply because in the early morning most of us don't have the exact "stylus type" of hand-eye co-ordination ;o)
- Power efficiency... Any new clock app should be as unintrusive and power efficient as the current Nokia solution, in that it doesn't add CPU load or anything to have the clock showing/alarms setup. Simple point really, but this is my main reason for suggesting a separate app rather than just adding it to something like Canola... (plus those guys are awesome but really really busy on their own stuff!)

Anyways, that's my two cents. I can do C-level programming if required, but never dealt with python or guis in Maemo or anything like that, so...

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
development