Active Topics

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hey all. I bought an external charger with two batteries from an ebay seller by the name of loo100us. They're marked as 'FOR NOK BP-4L', 3.7V 1500ma. I managed to get one battery to work once, but never again. I sent an email to the seller who sent me a replacement charger, which didn't do the trick. He then sent me another set of two batteries, neither of which work either.

When I say they don't work, even if I place one of the batteries into my N810 the Nokia splash screen & the charging symbol don't appear when I plug the adapter in, nothing. That's why I assumed it was the batteries & not the charger.

Now I don't really have a problem with the seller. He's spent more on shipping the replacements to me than he could have possibly made off the sale, so he's definitely trying. My question is has anyone had any luck with no-name batteries like this. Any tips that I might be missing getting these to work? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

I bought two batteries + charger, the charger looks exactly the same, but the batteries appear a bit different.

The two batteries do work OK, thought they have much less capacity then reported. Each battery works only for about an hour and a half on max load (max brightness, movie playing over wifi), compared to more than 3 hours for the original battery. I charged the batteries both in the N810 and in the charger with no problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I bought a battery from eBay merchant imetroshop in Hong Kong. It was advertised as a BP-4L, turned out to be a counterfeit, and the only part of it that was decently made was the bogus label and hologram. The contacts didn't fit until I rebent them, and the battery only took half a charge. The seller refunded all my money including return postage.

I then bought an inexpensive battery from a mail order seller here in the San Francisco area. It was marked 1200 mAh, and performs as advertised. But when my main battery died, I bought another genuine Nokia.

Had I seen this post first, I would have bought the higher capacity battery from Mugen and given it a try.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I bought a Mugen Power BP-4L replacement for $30. It has 1800mHa which is 300mHa than the Nokia version and still fits.

http://shop.eten.hu/mugen-power-1800...e71-p-212.html

They also have a larger capacity 3600mAh that comes with a new battery cover to make room for it's extra size.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

I too jumped too soon and purchased one of those Hong Kong replacement batteries before reading these threads. It was much lighter than the real one so therefore does not have as big of a battery inside of the casing. It won't even power the N810 for more than a few seconds. Luckily I only waisted $6 USD on it.

So anyone have sources for the best deal on a real 1500mAh BP-4L?

If the best price is close to the Mugen one listed above and if the Mugen really does have 300Ma more power (I'm not sure I believe it unless they designed their package so that it had less outside casing and more battery inside. Can somebody with both weigh the two to see if the Mugen battery is heavier?)

My next question will be for a 12V Automotive supply that also has enough power to run the N810 as many can only power smaller Nokia phones.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I bought a Mugen Power BP-4L replacement for $30. It has 1800mHa which is 300mHa than the Nokia version and still fits.

http://shop.eten.hu/mugen-power-1800...e71-p-212.html

They also have a larger capacity 3600mAh that comes with a new battery cover to make room for it's extra size.
Care to report how satisfied you have been?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Care to report how satisfied you have been?
I also bought a separte batterry charger which did charge the battery -- verified with VOM. When installing the batterry in my N810 it didn't work. This problem was solved by bending a piece of business card stock and using it for a shim to press the battery against the N810's contacts. A fully charged Mugen battery reports the same 10 day and 7 hour estimate as the Nokia battery but it seems to stay at that level longer than the Nokia battery. I would buy a Mugen again since it is less expensive. Personaly I'd avoid the bargin batteries on ebay.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I also bought a separte batterry charger which did charge the battery -- verified with VOM. When installing the batterry in my N810 it didn't work. This problem was solved by bending a piece of business card stock and using it for a shim to press the battery against the N810's contacts. A fully charged Mugen battery reports the same 10 day and 7 hour estimate as the Nokia battery but it seems to stay at that level longer than the Nokia battery. I would buy a Mugen again since it is less expensive. Personaly I'd avoid the bargin batteries on ebay.
I use an N800 which has a different battery than the N810. Have have no problems with the 3 cheap batteries and 2 cheap chargers from Hong Kong.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-07-01 at 18:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
I found a wet ipod touch. The internals were corroded, but the battery was OK. I superglued it to my n800 back cover. I soldered a couple of leads to the old battery. I'm getting 8 hours with wifi.

The battery is slim, doesn't protrude past the camera bump.

Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
I found a wet ipod touch. The internals were corroded, but the battery was OK. I superglued it to my n800 back cover. I soldered a couple of leads to the old battery. I'm getting 8 hours with wifi.

The battery is slim, doesn't protrude past the camera bump.
bravo! that's recycling at its best.