Active Topics

Notices

everything about tear is fantastic except flash. it just doesn't work right. for instance, I try to play a youtube video but - and this is completely true - it will not play unless i hold the stylus on the video. it refuses, and its not just youtube either, other sources don't work as well (trust me, I've experimented).

Sorry if I sound a little angry, what you've made is worlds better then the default. But flash is what I bought my n810 for.

right, its the same with midori. i use the default browser with flashblock and adblocker, seems to give me a better 'full web experience' and when i actually want the flash objects i just click on them. this is good for youtube so you can let the page fully load before it starts trying to play the video. i've also had troubles with some scripts in midori that wont run (they run on the default browser)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The default browser and WebKit doesn't share the same Javascript engine. As for Flash, maybe the kinetik scrolling is the problem? How is the clicking with the menu button held down?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
I have to agree with the findings of rdvonz. I too have to tap and move the stylus in any Flash based video and move it around to see it actually play. As soon as I stop moving the mouse around or remove the stylus, the video freezes right where I let go.

I also tried pressing the menu button on my N810 while doing this and it doesn't seem to change anything. Of course just pressing the menu key and holding it to still doesn't change anything. Is there another test you were wanting someone to try? Thanks in advance Bundyo.

Also, the flash object keeps the same dimensions regardless of zoom level, not fun.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
perfect thread to ask people to test my claim that previous libwebkit build

http://bundyo.org/maemo/webkit/libwe...37-5_armel.deb

handles flash somewhat better than the current one

http://bundyo.org/maemo/webkit/libwe...37-9_armel.deb (41137-9).

anyone find the same thing?

Last edited by lm2; 2009-06-04 at 05:37.

I'm not having the playing problem with the latest webkit.
Watched this just fine.

I am seeing the same/similar zoom problem, however, where if I zoom when watching a video the size of the flash object on the page does resize, but the video doesn't, so is cropped.

Running diablo on n800.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The flash not zooming problem is probably in the way WebKitGtk handles the plugin and I won't be able to fix that.

I meant if holding the menu button adds responsiveness to clicking on the video, not only holding it to affect the overall flash performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
I wasn't really complaining, just verifying that flash does work on my tablet through tear - I use tear for practically everything, but don't watch too much youtube, and when I do I don't really use the zoom.

As far as Flash is concerned, what I'm mostly missing in Tear is the Flashblock Plugin. Especially on websites with overlay flash ads.

In microb with the Flashblock addon enabled, such overlay ads are displayed as transparent objects with a small flash icon in the middle. So you can still see the actual content of the page.

In Tear the overlay flash ad is sitting right where the content of the page is supposed to be. Or in case you are disabling plugins or blocking the ad via hosts file, you have a white rectange the size of the flash ad sitting on top of the actual page content.