Active Topics

The previous series managed to just work using a hack I wrote until an update, but could someone with an actual n900 device (or knowledge) confirm whether a site that uses Flash to capture video (games/chat/ustream, youtube) does or does not work with the n900?

This would be the one iPhone killer for me and many others since many web sites use Flash and the iPhone doesn't have real flash, only some cripplets.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Perhaps you could post a link to a good site in the wiki or here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
From what I believe timeless said on #maemo, no, they aren't supported so we may need your hacking abilities yet again.

http://www.motiongames.net/ is one, but my netbook doesn't want to accept clicks on the camera enable.

http://www.sillywebcam.com/ has links to more.

"supported" can mean anything from they purposely disabled it, to it is there but doesn't work well.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, the camera works with Flash, but only the big camera on the back, not the webcam on the front.

@Qole
Were you being sarcastic saying that the camera has a 2 LED flash?
Or [for the first time] can the Adobe Flash plugin read a camera in Linux? Perhaps the back camera ala the N97 uses S60 firmware? o.O

I'm just going to assume you were joking.

The feature of Adobe Flash to view webcam feeds seem to only work in Windows. Which I find odd since Linux support of webcams is fairly standardized. Most webcams use either v4l or v4l2 under Linux. Of the course the mystery that is Adobe is just that.

linuxeventually, I didn't say anything about the flash, but it appears that it does indeed have two LEDs as a flash.

(EDIT: Oh I get it, Adobe flash and LED flash... haha)

Adobe asks for permission to use the webcam, and it shows the back camera's view. Choosing settings for Adobe Flash lets you go to the webcam tab and try to select the webcam, but there's only one available (the front camera isn't a choice).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Great! and Thanks! (you might try renaming or redoing mknod to /dev/video /dev/video0 /dev/video1, etc to rearrange which camera is "default" - this is sort of what I did in my original hack).

Now I really, really want to get one - I want to use ustream, and AFAIK it requires flash to do live/recording streams.

Great! and Thanks! (you might try renaming or redoing mknod to /dev/video /dev/video0 /dev/video1, etc to rearrange which camera is "default" - this is sort of what I did in my original hack).

Now I really, really want to get one - I want to use ustream, and AFAIK it requires flash to do live/recording streams.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
not using the front cam by default (or at least giving a choice) seems strange, though. wouldn't you primarily use the cam together wity flash for web-based video chat services? what else could you do with any cam from within a flash application that would require the cam facing away from you rather than towards you?