Active Topics

I searched on Google and couldn't find any information on this. Was wondering if you can set a custom ringtone for each contact like you can on most phones. Thanks a lot, hope N900 has this. I find Nokia especially, often leaves certain things out of their phones. Its frustrating!

At the moment no.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
No, I don't believe the n900 does this at the moment. (Which is not to say someone won't write an app for that!). In fact, the profiles available for n900 are rather sparse - at least in the firmware people are working with now (no-one knows exactly what the final release firmware will have)

N900 doesn't come from the starting point of being a phone so much as a mobile internet device, so some of the things that seem 'phone obvious' are not there. Yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
at least in the firmware people are working with now (no-one knows exactly what the final release firmware
One would hope that the software was feature locked months ago, as a result what people are working with now is what will be on the final release... just less buggy

The Following User Says Thank You to Ovek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
I find Nokia especially, often leaves certain things out of their phones. Its frustrating!
Nokia ESPECIALLY?! Compared to whom?? I find the exact opposite, and most Americans I talk to say that Nokia's problem is too many features, not to few. Are you sure you're talking about Nokias? GIve examples, please. I find that statement so hard to justify or believe. But I'm all ears...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
N900 doesn't come from the starting point of being a phone so much as a mobile internet device,
I think continuing to call the N900 a MID is limiting, and not fully describing the functionality of it. I think portable desktop device or palmtop fits much better. This thing is no different than your Windows PC minus the drive support. Do we question features of it? No, because we know its app ecosystem allows features to be added at a whim, like we've seen with the social network profile photos being synced to the Contact app. Custom ringtones is a no brainer, and I don't expect to wait long to see something as simple and trivial to implement as that. Ignore the small stuff, because that's something someone could code up in a day or two, tops.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
There is an open bug for this which you can vote for:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5356

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Any update on this folks.

Cheers

Oh oh very disappointed to hear this. So disappointed that I had to register to post this.

I assumed this would be so obviously present in the device. Have been waiting for like 5 months for this device watching youtube videos of it obsessively every day but this may cause me to have second thoughts. If this is missing then there may be other very basis functions that were present in previous Nokia devices that are not in this device.

I have been using custom ring tones on my Nokia phones for like 10 years now and it is important to me. When phone rings I want to immediately know without getting up for the phone who it is and whether it is wife for example or a friend I would rather speak to at another time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Hear you on that one bud