Active Topics

does anyone know a good place to download films in good quality for the n900 would films downloaded from itunes work

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=youtube
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by boybunny View Post
does anyone know a good place to download films in good quality for the n900 would films downloaded from itunes work
iTunes movies are DRM'd, so no they wont work.

Good luck finding a way to get non-DRM'd video content, you can't even pay for it these days.

Your best bet will be ripping DVD's (they are DRM'd as well, but with a well known weaker and easy to break encryption) However you should be warned that this may be illegal if you live in a jurisdiction that attempts to prop up failed technical restrictions with legal cruft (i.e. in the US the DMCA makes nearly *any* type of DRM circumvention illegal, even schemes as weak as that on DVD's)

if u have a digital disk of a film that intended for itunes and iphone would it work on my n900?

Originally Posted by stav View Post
if u have a digital disk of a film that intended for itunes and iphone would it work on my n900?
If you are talking about the "digital copy" things that are included with many blurays these days...without knowing for sure (since I haven't tried) I'm going to say "probably not" since the N900 doesn't support the DRM that those use. Personally, I rip/encode my own DVD's with handbrake (using ffmpeg MPEG4 settings which gets hardware accelerated on the N900).

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I have studied all those sites, and so far completely failed to find anything I would want to watch. (Mind, I'm very picky what I watch )

I have some dvds (some not even DRMed!) that I'd be glad to rip... but I haven't yet worked out how. Last time I asked I got directed to something that required a pile of dependencies I didn't know how to d/l or even install. I really am a bear of very little brain! Anyone care to suggest how to rip a few good dvds?

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I have studied all those sites, and so far completely failed to find anything I would want to watch. (Mind, I'm very picky what I watch )

I have some dvds (some not even DRMed!) that I'd be glad to rip... but I haven't yet worked out how. Last time I asked I got directed to something that required a pile of dependencies I didn't know how to d/l or even install. I really am a bear of very little brain! Anyone care to suggest how to rip a few good dvds?
what OS are you using on the box that would be processing the dvd?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
what OS are you using on the box that would be processing the dvd?
Windows: either XP or vista. I'm a bear of very little brain - n900 is my first real venture into linux. When I have finished my current projects, I plan to get a bit more savvy about it, but for the next few months I'll be sticking to my windoze (though I find my netbook has died today!)

If there's a simple install I can do to rip dvds, I'd be dead grateful: I'm picky about using things I haven't paid for legally but would like to rip my dvd collection to n900.

Do you use Linux?

In all cases of Linux/Mac/Windows you can use a great app called HandBrake which will rip & encode a dvd (or video file) to several other different types. It also has presets for things like "ipod" which (I believe?) will also play in android phones and possibly the N900?

For Linux there is Hyper Video Converter and WinFF. I reviewed (older versions) of both here. I'm not sure WinFF and HyperVC will allow you to go directly from the DVD device.

So you can use things like dvdbackup and vobcopy to extract a DVD's movie title to a VOB file on the local drive.. and then run that through converters.

There is also K9Copy.

For windows .. there is DVDShrink. I don't link to it, because they won't let you download it from their website due to "legal" issues. You have to google it and find it.

That will only extract it to the HDD though, I don't think that will encode to a N900 compatible format.

Then of course, there is one of our own members Tablet Encode that will encode a video file to a tablet friendly format. It would work, in theory, on windows, mac or linux - since all of them, I believe, have mplayer/mencoder available.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: