Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by GluonBall View Post
abill_uk, thank you for you response.
I will check the connections again, however, I do not believe that it will help.
1.) Phone does charge, when plugged into wall charger while booting, so GND and +5V are ok
2.) If booting unplugged, I can transfer files in mass storage mode, so Data+ and Data- are ok.
Thats why, I would think it is something more complicated.
Sorry, if I miss something obvious.
Was everything working prior to your port becoming loose hence your soldering ? and did you replace the port or solder another back in place? if you did replace then was it a suitable replacement?.

Just sent in my SECOND n900 with loose USB port. I asked them for an N9 ... we chall see.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I almost never use the USB port. I need 3 batteries to keep me going for a full day, I carry two in my wallet (don't notice them there) and use two wall chargers at home to charge them. My phone sits by my bed on the night table without charger, using 4th battery which charges while I am away during the day. For files I use ssh from my Mac to browse the N900. For really fast transfers I pull the SD card and slot it into my Mac. I do own a USB cable, and carry it around in my bag as an emergency for connecting to a computer without ssh if I need to - but this has happened less than half a dozen times so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
I almost never use the USB port. I need 3 batteries to keep me going for a full day, I carry two in my wallet (don't notice them there) and use two wall chargers at home to charge them. My phone sits by my bed on the night table without charger, using 4th battery which charges while I am away during the day. For files I use ssh from my Mac to browse the N900. For really fast transfers I pull the SD card and slot it into my Mac. I do own a USB cable, and carry it around in my bag as an emergency for connecting to a computer without ssh if I need to - but this has happened less than half a dozen times so far.
This is an interesting approach. Guess you'll need to be careful the clip for the back cover remains firm! Are they just stock Nokia BL-5J batteries?
If you're able to replace the battery without a system reset, please would you point to some information on how?

To all those who are brave enough to try to get a replacement - good luck. There are a few N900s out there (Autumn 2011).
...commisserations if you get symbianed.

gee, i'm it too - N900 USB port problem victim. just when I was braggging today that N900 is the best phone ever.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
gee, i'm it too - N900 USB port problem victim. just when I was braggging today that N900 is the best phone ever.
And you of course did not consider Solder Down.

Man i am repeating myself alot the last couple of weeks.....

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
To be honest, IMO someone who use 4 batteries per 24h (4x1300 = 5200 mAh, if all batteries in perfect healh) should invest and DIY or buy a dual-scud (3000 mAh). It also contain additional benefit - more comfortable writing, using a N900 keyboard
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Has anyone X-rayed the circuit board? I'd be interested to see if there are any traces running under the usb connector (on one of the inner layers). Or does anyone have a damaged circuit board I can purchase from them to get this X-rayed and attempt other repair ideas

The Following User Says Thank You to binjinx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
Absolutely superb! This kind of thing is what makes this forum so unique. Where else would someone genuinely want to x-ray their phone mainboard?!

Well my turn, my usb connector came off, but the funny thing if i push it back in and hold it in a certain angle the contact still seem to allow the device to charge... i have now completly turned it off to save battery, so i can somehow backup my data... any sugestions how to do this let me know.

My question, has anyone been successfully able to get nokia to fix this problem or to replace the phone under the 2 years warranty?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty