Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Nokia have just reutned my repaired n900 after the USB dying for the third time. It's fully functional again - but for how long who knows. I've never really been that into it and would gladly swap it with anyone whose been given an E7 as a replacement which they don't want... This N900 is fine apart from a couple of minor scuffs around the edges and is still under warranty until April 2012.
It's probably easier to swap if you're in England - and preferably somewhere near manchester...

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Guys with warranty have also chance to get E7/N8, sell it, and buy aftermarket N900 for much less = profit, so I understand that some may wait with soldering. Anyway, it saddens me, that in such case, fully working N900 (besides broken usb) is "deactivated" by Nokian "murderous". Judging by popular demand, we may live up to times, when N900 will start becoming *more* expensive (in aftermarket) with every month, instead going otherwise. Especially, that there is still no real competitor.

Originally Posted by khephren View Post
Fond farewell from me to my N900 and Maemo.org...,and with out my permission.

Nokia just replaced my N900 with a shitty N8. Slower, less versatile OS, no keyboard, less storage, no resistive touch, lower resolution,and I've lost all my data.

We all know a replacement for a broken N900 should be the N950....
if you still have the n8 and want to sell it, Let me know.

Just happened to me. Second time the USB port has come out now. I have power kernel and all that installed on there, will it still be fine to send off for warrenty repair as its hardware not software issue? Thanks.

short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Some local Nokia Care places may try to fool you that it isn't viable for repair, but it's just plain lie.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I have an N900 to sell with a broken usb (does not charge) but works fine looking to sell it. message me if you're interested.

Price?

ten chars.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
i saw "thousands" of posts saying " pads behind battery don't have esd protection"
FALSE
the ESD protector chip is in place but between usb transceiver chip and esd protector chip exist an device called " common mode choke "
from " common sense " >> without protection even factory service device can destroy the chips.
the choke is not mandatory device for usb link but elegant designers include one.
so stop spreading FUD

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Thanks for explaining.

The FUD originated from joerg_rw posts - he seemed to be damn sure about that. It seems, that we believed it without checking first - mistake, even considering high contribution from joerg, and his expertise level.

If it's indeed protected, that mean great news for everyone with broken USB problem.- recreating connection via battery pads is relatively easy.

/Estel

ps.

If elegant designers include common mode choke, what exactly this part does? And, for purist, can it be easily re-created, when using testpads (for example, bought as one piece, or made from small parts)?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-29 at 04:17.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
teory http://www.butlerwinding.com/store.asp?pid=28349
components examples http://www.coilcraft.com/pdf_viewer/...re:0805usb.pdf

I think, a desperate solution main goal is not to pass EMI tests and must be simple enough.
but if somebody want unnecessary complications an old motherboard or usb stick can be scavenged

for repairing a detached socket i recommend to install the new socket upside down . the pins are more accessible to solder

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Sent 2 away because of this, first one I fell asleep with charger cable over me, woke up in a sudden rush, went to my mates in the eve after work, plugged into my mates lappy to take a few films and it only worked at a certain angle, had a look and the metal connector parts, they were bent + the port was loose, so tried to bend metal back with a screwdriver and the port departed. Cue Nokia warranty, this phone then decided to jump out my pocket and land in a rockpool whilst fishing, cue Vodafone insurance lol.

The insurance phone eventually had the same problem as the first after 7 months of usage and it broke 3 weeks ago, so sent it off and got a brand new one back.

On the day I received the new one, told my mate about Nokia warranty and he sent his 2 N900s off for repair, was told there were no N900s in stock and would 2 E7s be okay, they even apologized for inconvenience. He recently upgraded to an iPhone 4 so just sold one E7 to his brother for £200 and the other for £240 on ebay.. I was gonna keep quiet and offer him £100 for the both of the N900s and warranty them aswell, but my moral upbringing came into play what a genital wart I was lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to RDK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty