Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

I am seeing this mesage on the nokia support tracker thingy:

"Ready for pickup
Your product is ready for pickup from the repair centre. If you shipped your product in for repair, it will be shipped back to you shortly."

Now that makes it SOUND LIKE they actually fixed it. OR, has anyone had this message only to later open up the package and find an E7 or something else inside?

I really would like an n900 back because it would be a bit of a hassle trying to sell something else then buy another n900. Although I was getting used to the idea that I might end up with some extra cash out of the deal and a shiny new n900 instead of my old one. I guess it wont be a disappointment either way.

well I FINALLY received my lovely n900 back today. After a week of believing it was in the post to me I rang up and they were waiting for me to tell them where to send it. I said can't you send it back to me at my address, then they said my address out to me. all I could think was WFT! I could have had this back a week ago. Apparently they left me messages but I guess they don't get the irony in the fact THEY HAD MY PHONE lol. at least I have it back now. Looks all fixed. No idea what they did to it. It's not a brand new one but I suspect they just swapped it for another refurbished one as a couple of scratches have miraculously disappeared. No data or software upgrades or apps on it - that's all wiped clean. So begins the laborious program of installing all the CSSU stuff etc. With any luck all the data I managed to back up on the PC will just slot straight back in there
So- a final message to anyone who doesn't want to get fobbed off with an E7- writing or calling to complain about this CAN get you another n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
I have problem with my nokia
not charging from USB,, not connectible true USB
in Bulgaria there is no repair center so even in guarantee they refuse to repair this problem! Now charging with external charger batteries - 2 of them - its absurd....
start thinking about 6V accu 4 AH and if I reduce voltage to 4,17V it will be as it needs to be.
What will happen if connect ext bat charger to battery when in phone?

Just search forum, and read about creating USB connection using testpads (You can solder some cables to them, and end it with USB port). Of course, You may also check Your "regular" usb port parts, and try to repair it. It is also described with details on forum.

Either way, good luck.

/Estel

/Edit

If You connect *good class* charger to battery used by running device, nothing will happen - it will just charge. Ho ever, external charger can't distinguish between current used by phone operation, and current accepted by battery during charging, so it may not be able to terminate charging correctly. So, You should only charge battery to 80% or so. And never leave it unattended. As for simple non-RC LiIon chargers with one diode, I can"t predict how they will react.

More hassle than repairing device properly, if You ask me.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Unfortunately while it is possible to repair if you have the skills I rarely see broken USB port N900's up for sale on eBay from people with an expired warranty.
I feel that many of the thousands who have posted here in this thread, a tiny fraction of all who have broken their N900, are just junking a phone that can be made better than factory with 45 minutes of work carefully disassembling, masking, and soldering a bridge to the trimmed RF cage on one side and some scraped bare ground plane on the other.
I have dropped my repaired/upgraded N900 about a meter onto pavement with a USB cable in and it bent the cable tip, I had to use a pliers to remove it but the port was fine.
If you break your N900 there are plenty of people who would bid at least $50, it would at least give another user a chance at a great machine.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Athens Greece
The usb port nightmare continues for me. After six months that I had mine replaced and tightly secured in place, my N900 started to behave abnormally when charging. The charging led worked only for a few hours, or minutes or not at all. The battery icon in the status area however was in charging mode, with or without the led on.

I brought it back to the same repair shop and they said that one of the usb pins, obviously the charging one, was broken and they had to replace the entire port, again..... I was quite gentle when plugging/unplugging it though, especially after the first repair. I am not sure how this could have happened. I admit I was and still am afraid to send it to Nokia Care shop, ever since I read all these posts about people receiving a different phone back from Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to refugee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
the USB connector has finally started to fail on my N900. Charging is intermittant, and only works when the cable is propped.

The support site reckons my phone is out of warranty, but the standard 2yr Nokia european warranty still gives me until August based on my purchase date.

Emailed Nokia in the UK - we will see what happens. Prepping an N97 as a fallback device in case the 900 has to go....

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
the USB connector has finally started to fail on my N900. Charging is intermittant, and only works when the cable is propped.

The support site reckons my phone is out of warranty, but the standard 2yr Nokia european warranty still gives me until August based on my purchase date.

Emailed Nokia in the UK - we will see what happens. Prepping an N97 as a fallback device in case the 900 has to go....
It does not have to go if you or a good mate of yours fix it, as you describe you USB problem it can be fixed but needs to be fixed NOW.

If you use nokia care then you have a very low % of getting you N900 back (fixed) or getting a new N900 as an replacement.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
...But, opening it and fixing on his own, he will loose warranty. Using Nokia oxy***** care, he can get some s**t, sell it, and buy N900 from aftermarket, still having some bonus money left

the only thing, is that it's pity a otherwise working-well N900 will be scrapped by our damned "friends" Nokians
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Oddly enough, I am now wondering if it is the N900. Over the last couple of days I have tried my usual home, car, and workdesk chargers and the device had the same issue on each. Kinda unusual for multiple to go at the same time...

When I came to backup and sync the data of the N900, the unused cable I used worked without issue, both for charging and data, and I am wondering if there is something else going on, or 3 of my charge cables have gone flakey at the same time.

The chargers listed above work fine with my work BB, so maybe it is the phone after all....

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty