Active Topics

For various weird reasons I'm not using a SIM card on N900 at the moment, and would love to get internet connection via Bluetooth from another phone.

I actually did succeed in this, although it works only in X Terminal, not in any GUI apps.

What I'm missing is:
How to create a "dummy" connection that would be visible to the list in "Internet Connection" dialog that is opened from Status Menu?

There used to be a way to do that in N810, N800 (type = DUMMY), but that doesn't work in N900, at least not in the same way.

Some info how to get as far as I did, if somebody wants to hack around.

First, I installed "maemo-pc-connectivity" (v0.5) with Application Manager. This is not really necessary otherwise, but I couldn't figure out how to make "bnep0" device appear.

Then I tried to set up the bluetooth tethering using that pc-connectivity app. It really didn't work, as it complains about PAND etc, which is obviously out of date for Fremantle. That would have only worked in N800 or so. But now the "bnep0" is there

The "manual setup" script that people used in N810 is also outdated for Fremantle, due to move from Bluez 3.x to Bluez 4.x. The API changed totally. And there's very little up-to-date documentation.

Luckily I am able to activate the connection from the other-phone-side, so I don't really need dbus-bluez API to work fully. But if somebody is interested, here's the Fremantle version for the script linked above:

Code:
find_connection(){
#find or create connection                                                                                                                                    
if dbus_method org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter ; then
    ADAPTER=$(dbus_result)
    echo default adapter $ADAPTER

if dbus_method org.bluez ${ADAPTER} org.bluez.Adapter.FindDevice string:"${BTADDR}" ; then
        DEVICE=$(dbus_result)
        echo device $DEVICE

if dbus_method org.bluez ${DEVICE} org.bluez.Network.Connect string:"${PAN_ROLE}" ; then
            CONN=$(dbus_result)
            echo connection $CONN
        fi
    fi
fi
}
That works fine except the org.bluez.Network -part, which seems to be totally missing ?!? (My N900 has Sales firmware).

Anyways, what I really needed to run is the network setup, which is simply these lines:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

BNEPDEV=bnep0
IP=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
GW=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

ifconfig $BNEPDEV $IP up
route add default gw $GW
And that's it. The $IP and $GW variables depend on the device you connect to (i.e. the "another phone"). There are some default suggestions in the N810 version of the script if you want to take a look.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msoini For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by msoini View Post
What I'm missing is:
How to create a "dummy" connection that would be visible to the list in "Internet Connection" dialog that is opened from Status Menu?
With the introduction of icd2, premiering in Diablo, you've needed to install a dummy plugin.

It's in nokia-binaries, so use any method of getting files from it (grab its Packages.gz, ..., etc.). I did this, from my FREMANTLE_ARMEL target:
apt-get install --reinstall -d libicd-network-dummy

This gave me its deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives. I then copied the deb to my N900 and did a dpkg -i. It gives instructions on adding the new connection; follow what it says and reboot.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Oh wow. This is seriously cool. There's actually no need to do any manual script running. The maemo-pc-connectivity package works just as advertised!

The only obstacle here is that the libicd-network-dummy package really needs to be installed for the maemo-pc-connectivity package to work.

So, to get this working (with GUI apps) do:
- install libicd-network-dummy from X Terminal
(you'll need to get that package from scratchbox armel install, as described above)
- install maemo-pc-connectivity with Application Manager
- configure according to the instructions
- activate the configuration with the maemo-pc-connectivity
- it works now, done

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msoini For This Useful Post:
So will this allow me to tether to a Blackberry dataplan over Bluetooth for example? In the documentation for pc connectivity suite, it mentions PCs (Wintel, Mac, Linux) only.

I have a company Blackberry with a decent dataplan which I can tether with over bluetooth. Currently don't have a dataplan on my N900. Would love ability to tether it to the Blackberry when I'm not near a wifi hotspot.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
OMG I'm supposed to understand any of this?
Sorry if I am being rude but I'm just an end user and I am thinking that I will be very unsatisfied with EDGE as it is so slow when i can put my AT&T sim back in my N95 8GB and just keep it charged and in my backpack or in my pocket and connect to it through bluetooth to my AT&T 3g until i can manage to get a tmobile account.
Can you please stick an app in extras or promise a firware upgrade giving us this option or give simple instructions on how to bluetooth connect to my AT&T symbian phone?
I know there are many AT&T symbian phone users out there that would appreciate it, thanks.

Does N95 support bluetooth PAN for tethering?

Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
So will this allow me to tether to a Blackberry dataplan over Bluetooth for example? In the documentation for pc connectivity suite, it mentions PCs (Wintel, Mac, Linux) only.

I have a company Blackberry with a decent dataplan which I can tether with over bluetooth. Currently don't have a dataplan on my N900. Would love ability to tether it to the Blackberry when I'm not near a wifi hotspot.
If you are successfully able to tether PC to your blackberry phone, then in theory you should be able to tether N900 to your blackberry too. The maemo-pc-connectivity application provides the functionality to do that. However, whether it actually works out for you, can be only found out by trying.

If you do try, then you'll want to tether just the pc to blackberry first, write down the ip addresses etc on the PC, and then tether with n900 and use same values in the settings. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to msoini For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
OMG I'm supposed to understand any of this?
Sorry if I am being rude but I'm just an end user and I am thinking that I will be very unsatisfied with EDGE as it is so slow when i can put my AT&T sim back in my N95 8GB and just keep it charged and in my backpack or in my pocket and connect to it through bluetooth to my AT&T 3g until i can manage to get a tmobile account.
Can you please stick an app in extras or promise a firware upgrade giving us this option or give simple instructions on how to bluetooth connect to my AT&T symbian phone?
I know there are many AT&T symbian phone users out there that would appreciate it, thanks.
For Nokia smartphones like N95, if you are looking for a hassle free way to use the N95's internet connection, then use the Joikuspot application or similar, which turns N95 into WiFi station. That way on N900 you don't have to do anything extra, just choose joikuspot from the list of internet connections.

I found the .deb here:

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...+0m5_armel.deb

now, the wiki replaces

replace the /****/ with the following numbers:

4bc37c7c77ebe9
0177c050b805a8
dc79

with no spaces or lines in between. For some reason this forum does not want me to use those numbers. it mangles them when I try to use them contiguously

--dmg

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
[...]. For some reason this forum does not want me to use those numbers. it mangles them when I try to use them contiguously

--dmg
It mangles them because those keys aren't meant to be shared.

Go here to get your own key which is not to be shared.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: