Active Topics

Hi everybody.
It is time for a new phone, i absolutely love N900 and probably will buy it in a few days ( YAAAY), but is it the right choice for me? I love that it has Maemo OS, i love everything about it. Well, except landscape mode only, but portrait mode will come later.
I don't use twitter or facebook. I listen to music ( A LOT), watch movies, play games, use skype and surf on the internet. OH, and i use GPS from time to time. btw, what about ovi maps? Is it possible to save maps on the phone?
I don't know why i made this post, but i just can't figure it out. If i don't buy N900, i'll buy 5800 and Xbox 360. I just don't know.
A pointless post, but I'm confused.

You're asking this question on a Maemo forum? Really?

I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but that's like asking a man if he likes his favorite food.

I think you hit the nail on the head...

A pointless post, but I'm confused

I'll address your points individually.

Ovi Maps - Currently virtually useless. Expecting update soon.

The music / movie player - Top quality.

Games - With emulation sky is the limit. Games made for N900 are a bit ying and bang, tux and wormux are great though.

Skype - Coming Soon

Surfing the internet - No troubles, a great exerpience.

I played with a 5800 the other day. If you're looking for a significantly cheaper phone thats lighter and compact it's quite nice. N900 though is an expensive device but the experience is worth the cost.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by horus View Post
Skype - Coming Soon
hem...Skype is already there...so well integrated into Fremantle that you may not see it

ah, i will take n900 anyway.

Last edited by dawchiks; 2009-12-21 at 00:10.

htc hd 2 or n900...
i have had a touch diamond 2 for the past year and a half, and must say its a gr8 device... hd2 is no different... gr8 specs, gr8 screen... the device is amazing... y did i opt for the n900? the keyboard, the new os, the whole gui, 32 gb, gr8 video player (so many codecs) ... etc and list goes on... this device kindda gives u the feeling of having it all! and for the first time it really works... hd2 is gr8, but n900 gives u a certain different feeling

"posted b4 dawchiks edited his previous post, mentioning the hd2"

Last edited by twisted; 2009-12-21 at 00:17.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by dawchiks View Post
Hi everybody.
It is time for a new phone, i absolutely love N900 and probably will buy it in a few days ( YAAAY), but is it the right choice for me? I love that it has Maemo OS, i love everything about it. Well, except landscape mode only, but portrait mode will come later.
I don't use twitter or facebook. I listen to music ( A LOT), watch movies, play games, use skype and surf on the internet. OH, and i use GPS from time to time. btw, what about ovi maps? Is it possible to save maps on the phone?
I don't know why i made this post, but i just can't figure it out. If i don't buy N900, i'll buy 5800 and Xbox 360. I just don't know.
A pointless post, but I'm confused.
Well... sounds like the n900 could be for you in the future.

The n900 is great for watching movies and playing music as it is now, the games part is slowly growing. But no problem if you obtain all the console emulators, and scummvm. Theres also proof of a psx1 emu in existence on youtube. Also quake, quake3 and openarena is obtainable, though some are still in developement stage.

About the ovi maps... alot of people ain't satisfied with it in current state but theres talk about ovi will be upgraded later on. You can download maps through nokia maps loader.. atleast in xp with latest version and n900 mounted in storage mode. It dosent have speech directions though, but not a problem for me.

If you really want to consider wether to get it or not.. i guess you should ask your self if you need a rich or poor internet experience. Because 5800 will never be able to compete with the n900 in that area.

I'm not familiar with the 5800's movie playback experience, but the n900 is a safe bet for smoothest playback.

Hope that helps you in any way. But to be honest.. the xbox 360 idea sounds good too to bad your not getting both.

well, my friend has 5800 and he says it's laggy.
i will get xbox anyway , but later.

with ovi maps - i can download maps and i wont have to use internet connection? cuz that stuff is not cheap, i mean here it is about 1$ per 1 MB, if i'm not paying monthly fees for the internet.

damn, maemo has a nice community.

Last edited by dawchiks; 2009-12-21 at 00:50.

i dont feel lag on n900. definitely faster thn 5800. I own 5800 too. so no regret having nokia n900definitely worth buying.

still needs some improvement on the firmware though i.e. bluetooth problem but minor too me..

i meant that he says the 5800 is laggy, i know the n900 isn't, i've watched sooooooo much videos on youtube about n900