Active Topics

Notices

You might find this thread quite unnecessary, since it doesn't add anything new to the world of Maemo, but I think Offscreen deserves some more kudos from the community.

Well, I know, most of their apps are what Iphone-haters call "fart apps", but this isn't entirely the truth. All of their apps are well-polished with a nice and smooth UI - something that will benefit the Maemo platform in the general public.

Don't get me wrong here, the community has done much more, but it's this kind of apps that can make the N900 more popular among the common crowd.

With over 20 well-made apps directly ported from the Symbian platform to Maemo they've accomplished a hard task with (quite) little work. [See all their apps for Maemo in Ovi Store; set the N900 as your default phone]

This thread is made to appreciate Offscreen's decision of porting their apps to the Maemo platform. And hopefully more companies will follow later on. Having much done with little difficulty by porting applications to another platform should become more common, and by supporting such choises maybe this can become a trend.

With Qt in the horizon the Maemo (6) platform can count on a strongly increased app competition, but the thing is that Maemo 6 is at least half a year away (more realisticly a whole year) while Maemo 5 is here to stay for at least one year.

An OS' first impression can define its entire long-term reputation, no matter how it is in the reality (see Android for example), and that's why Maemo 5 can't be aimed for a small market when the media somewhat tracks the progress.

It might be silly to look for a reason to congratulate a company. Anyway, thanks for the nice support Offscreen!

(Despite of the crappy look of their apps, they are indeed well-done; see reviews for their Symbian apps if you doubt this)

Of course the community and other commercial developers like Rovio Mobile can't be forgotten either...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
hmhm
how come you can select n900 as your default phone? I don't see it anywhere in the list and if I search n900 I get the same old four apps, no offscreen

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gfdsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Actually there are even more new apps, including Angry Birds there (you can set N900 as default phone in your account).

funny, this either means you have some "special" account or nokia gradually updates their services because I have no n900 listed in "my phone" account page

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, I registered when the service was available through store.ovi.mobi and automatically was assigned N900. I have seen it in my account page but maybe because I already am using it.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post
funny, this either means you have some "special" account or nokia gradually updates their services because I have no n900 listed in "my phone" account page
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...117#post434117

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Actually there are even more new apps, including Angry Birds there (you can set N900 as default phone in your account).
That's why I also mentioned Rovio Mobile, which is the creator of both Bounce Evolution and Angry Birds.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
oh, great, thanks for the tip! just was about to sniff the URL

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
All of their apps are well-polished with a nice and smooth UI...
(Despite of the crappy look of their apps...
Are you familiar with the old robot term `Does not compute`?

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Are you familiar with the old robot term `Does not compute`?
You might have a point there...

I meant that the the looks of the apps is clean, but the apps tend to have a "fart app" feeling before one tries them out.