Active Topics

Hey! 4G was introduced in Sweden last month and is currently availible extremely cheap ($ 0.2 per month until june). I guess N900 wont be able to connect right?

N900 will work only on 3g speeds.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Will work on 3g speeds IF and only IF your cellular phone operator/provider company offers that service IN the frequencies that the N900 has builtin.

In other words, for instance, there is no N900 version (at least as of Dec 31, 2009) that supports UMTS 850/1900 to be used on a 3g network in Mexico City (which happens to be the same as AT&T frequencies for 3g in the USA).

My 2 cents.

P.S. Nokia, hopefully there will be an N900 version with these 3g freqs !

Originally Posted by solpete View Post
Hey! 4G was introduced in Sweden last month and is currently availible extremely cheap ($ 0.2 per month until june). I guess N900 wont be able to connect right?
Nope and i don't think SE, Nokia or Samsung have any phone yet to support LTE? Sweden, Norway and Finland should start to get more areas covered in 2010, but it's still defiently a niche market when large markets like India are still building it's 3G network.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
4g will probably be laptop dongle only for a while yet, as its mere months since the big boys sat down and hammered out some way for it to integrate with existing voice services...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by tso View Post
4g will probably be laptop dongle only for a while yet, as its mere months since the big boys sat down and hammered out some way for it to integrate with existing voice services...
Is the CPU in N900 (or any other same generationhardware) even powerfull enough to take advantage of 4G dataspeeds? I would imagine that browsing the web with LTE on Cortex A8 would be mostly CPU limited.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
most of the time mine reads 3.5G but interchanges between that and 3. what is 3.5 and is it contributing to my short battery life? currently charging once a day.

@ninjaboxergirl They created the N900 with the minimum requirement that it lasts a day under modest amount of use. I believe they mentioned this early on in a preview video. So what you are getting is about right and is pretty common. 3G will suck a lot energy in general... Maybe someone will make a program to schedule when you typically use a certain connection or not use to save more energy. You could try switching your connection to gsm mode only.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Yup, from my reading of it, it is still ~ 2 years away before a Nokia or Samsung make a mobile phone with it. HSDPA is only in the past year or two become widespread on phones; true 4G looks to be bringing in 100Mbit+ speeds.

ARM Cortex A8 (1Ghz): 2000 MIPS

Judging by the Wikipedia page on MIPS, the N900's CPU at 600MHz should be on par with a Pentium III-500MHz, which can handle 100Mbit LAN connections just fine; overhead for encryption will take a toll, but hopefully by the time the N9000 arrives with 4G 275Mbit speeds we will have a > 600MHz CPU

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
Originally Posted by ciaomatteo View Post
@ninjaboxergirl They created the N900 with the minimum requirement that it lasts a day under modest amount of use. I believe they mentioned this early on in a preview video. So what you are getting is about right and is pretty common. 3G will suck a lot energy in general... Maybe someone will make a program to schedule when you typically use a certain connection or not use to save more energy. You could try switching your connection to gsm mode only.
is that settings/phone/network? mine is on dual but ghosted out so i can't change it... or am i doing it wrong?