Active Topics

If my phone has a data connection open, it really struggles with voice calls at the same time.

I get a lot of "Network Unavailable" and "Bad Connection" (or something to that effect.

Is there any way to correct this (or at least, as a stopgap, give phonecalls the priority)?

You should be OK when connected via 3G, but it is pretty much a limitation with GSM that you can't do voice whilst using GPRS/EDGE.

Dunno if that applies in your situation.

Maybe that's it? I'm in central London so assumed that I'd get 3g everywhere.

Is there anyway to give the phone priority when using GPRS/EDGE?

Im in London too and noticed this too. I just thought that its vodafone thats crap.

Having come over from O2, I am really dissapointed with the voda network. I cant get reception even in the areas where I used to have full reception on o2.

Im really dissapointed with the voda network, and I will be leaving them once my contract expires.

However, I also read that the n900 is crap when it comes to the network transmitter. So i dont know really

Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post
Maybe that's it? I'm in central London so assumed that I'd get 3g everywhere.
That depends, there are spots of poor signal all over whenevr I'm down there (at least with T-Mo). Check wether the signal indicator says 3(.5)G or 2G.

Is there anyway to give the phone priority when using GPRS/EDGE?
Umm .. disconnect from the Internet is the only way that springs to mind.

Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
However, I also read that the n900 is crap when it comes to the network transmitter. So i dont know really
While I wouldn't say crap, it is significantly less sensitive than my old e51

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
i always had 3.5g on o2, then i had to go over to vodafone to get this n900, and i can only ever get 2g?
and im paying them an extra £5 pm for it!

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Since the iPhone came out a few weeks ago the 3G signal in central London has gone down the toilet.

I didn't use much 3G when I used to be on O2 (December 2009), but the 2G coverage was certainly better than Vodafones.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by jaark View Post
Umm .. disconnect from the Internet is the only way that springs to mind.

That's a shame. It'll be quite inconvenient to do that, especially if someone phones me and I have to ask them to wait while I check whether I'm on 2g or 3g and wait whilst I disconnect from the Internet if I'm on 2g...

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Since the iPhone came out a few weeks ago the 3G signal in central London has gone down the toilet.
Damn iPhone users! :