Active Topics

Notices

Hi...I want to ask if anyone know a Spoof Caller ID application for Nokia N900....if is not yet....maybe a smart man will create this application...I saw that on IPhone and is very fun...:P a lot of people will be happy thank you and good luck

Would be nice to have this app on n900.

Does it cost some extra to use it?

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Isn't this some network related stuff?

Or just your phone hardware!? O_o

(didn't even know such thing exist...)

yap Hannu is some cost extra but is not to much.... and HtheB....is a application for fon.....I found this application for simbyan,blackberry etc on google but.....I need for maemo

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Perhaps you provide a link or a description of what it does to save time from googling it.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
It won't work on all the networks, since a lot of the networks determine the CID from within the network (probably utilizing the SIM card) and would always ignore any data sent from the mobile.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
a lot of the networks determine the CID from within the network (probably utilizing the SIM card) and would always ignore any data sent from the mobile.
Which IMHO is the only sane thing to do. If there is a valid requirement for custom CID, that can be negotiated with the operator.

And aside from pranks or voice-spam, I can see little use for being able to do this ad-hoc.

any news??somebody can do that?? for an idea can visit http://www.spoofapp.com ...is enough if someone can do that only for sms...

don't know about any existing apps but in general, you can spoof cli by:

1) using a specific field in a digital signalling scheme (like Euro-ISDN) to pass the desired presentation number. the network carrier must have configured the network trunk to permit this to supercede the actual line ID or it will just be ignored. normal use is for telesales/corporates etc. to present a non-geo to called parties which they can call back.

2) similar idea in SIP - I think that if you have an asterisk PBX or similar - i.e. full s/w control over SIP - then you can set any desired presentation number. in this case you are effectively a network 'operator' so you are less restricted

3) tromboned calls - where your outbound call is made to an intermediate telephony server and you provide it with the destination & desired CLI via DTMF. The intermediary then uses the above techniques to spoof the CLI for you.

as i say i have no idea about the services/app's being referred to here but I've been spoofing CLI for years using (1) and i've also provided (3) occasionally as a demo, or for legitimate purposes as part of my former job.

Last edited by Pigro; 2010-03-17 at 00:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Friends, some short explanations:

There are 2 kind of source address in telephony:

ANI (automatic number identification) - it is used for billing and can't be spoofed for obvious reason (operator want bill YOU but not fictious person). But this number may be a single one for whole PBX in a single company.

CID - caller ID, that is that phone system says about itself.

If you call 911 or 800 number then they will get your ANI in any case - they pay telephony operator for it. (actually both)

The regular customer gets CID ... but that depends from provider and in some cases some DTMF can force provider get back your ANI. And many providers blocks CID beyond allowed range, for single line - the same CID.

Now, Voice-over-IP - there is some signature service in big providers but not any. Moreover, SIP doesn't have these kind of separation. So, you may spoof your CID but what happens then your call is gated to telephony? Depends, but I assume you can spoof CID but ANI can be the same - gateway line.

BTW, there is yet another number in case of transferring call and you original identity can be find via it in case of transfer.

All that is a reason why there is no 911 on Voice-over-IP beyond some big operator. 911 operator can't reliably find your location.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post: