Notices

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I remember that in the past some coders took the time and effort to create a few demos on Symbian.
Who remembers Aikaspektri on Nokia's first Symbian smartphone?
http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=1375...anycomments=50

When I saw this on someone's Nokia 7650 I was totally blown away and there was no other phone that could show off like it did back then.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we would see something like that for the all powerful Nokia N900?
Don't know how high the chances are though, since demos are usually tailored and coded around specific hardware with weird calls and (graphics) tricks and thus ports aren't probably realistic.

But still!

I wonder or there are more people like me silently hoping that somewhere in the future someone will code a cool looking and sounding demo for the Nokia N900!

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Yes please!
The only problem is OpenGL... younger members perhaps can't understand the value of "coders" when they see visual effects you can do with GL libs...

You can also try some Flash prodz on your N900! Some work, most not though Some simple Linux prodz will work. Try bb in Easy Debian (apt-get install bb)

I think darkwolf is talking of "real" demoscene... hard to me in english: trick our eyes to see what you never believed to see using hardware issues, the art of making what it's supposed can't be done. with a chipset. I'm right darkwolf?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'm hoping for some cool N900 demos at Assembly'10 in the summer

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Sounds great, can we have music by Rob Hubbard to accompany? OK, I'm showing my age

yes... and perhaps David Whittaker...

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I'm hoping for some cool N900 demos at Assembly'10 in the summer
Hear hear!
Secretly I am hoping this as well. It's probably our best chance to expect something to show up on that party!

It would be nice to think that some brainy coders could innovate new usages for existing hardware.. but isnt this stuff far more closely gaurded now?

rather than academic excersises.. perhaps mod's and plugin's aswell as stand alone stuff..

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
A demoscene called Planet Hively has just been ported to Maemo:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48944
Usual warnings apply about installing software manually. Perhaps the author of the port will package it and distribute it through Extras.