Active Topics

Hi

Trying to find a wired, 3.5mm jacked headset that'd work. AD-43 audio works, buttons don't. AD-54 isn't recognised at all.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: ooops, wrong subforum. Sorry. Will post in the accessories.

Last edited by punto; 2010-04-07 at 10:44.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
why not just use the standard wh-205? There are no other headphone out there with buttons that would work with N900. The headphone works but those buttons won't. The only headphone that have buttons which work with N900 are the bluetooth one.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
why not just use the standard wh-205? There are no other headphone out there with buttons that would work with N900. The headphone works but those buttons won't. The only headphone that have buttons which work with N900 are the bluetooth one.
Because I use custom earphones. I was hoping I'd be able to use the N900 as my main media player. The more I use it, the more deal-killers it seems to have... sigh

I am not a fan of the standard headset. Got a pair of Griffin TuneBudd Mobile which are my favorite affordable headset and when I insert them into the N900 there is a horrible feedback that only goes away if I pull them out slightly. (It seems to get quieter if I press the button). Why would seemingly standard mic/headsets not work?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Slight difference in the 3.5mm jack, try putting a little rubber washer/o-ring around the base of the headphone jack, most companies dont adhere to the standards when it comes to 3.5mm jacks (it would seem), nokia seems to be one of the few that do actually keep to the standard.

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Slight difference in the 3.5mm jack, try putting a little rubber washer/o-ring around the base of the headphone jack, most companies dont adhere to the standards when it comes to 3.5mm jacks (it would seem), nokia seems to be one of the few that do actually keep to the standard.
I'm not sure where you fished that out from.

The TRRS jacks are all the same length and the conductors have the same area.

You might not hear distortion if you pull out the socket enough but all you're doing is running one channel to ground - i.e. you're hearing mono.

WH-102 also works on N900 (button allows to receive calls).

AD-54 is recognised (headphone icon appears, you can hear/speak with it) but none of button works.

I guess there are different sequences sent by that additional wire in headset that depends on the model. I bet there is 1-button sequence that just works on n900 (all one button wired headsets) and 4/5/more buttons standard that doesn't work..

.. but hey, it should be hackable on n900, can we catch those sequences somehow? Does kernel support it ?

Originally Posted by punto View Post
Because I use custom earphones. I was hoping I'd be able to use the N900 as my main media player. The more I use it, the more deal-killers it seems to have... sigh
I use my N900 with Sennheiser noise cancelling cans via a Jabra BT3030 Bluetooth dongle. The dongle takes care of answering calls (it has a mic) - the music pauses during a call. The Jabra fwd/back/pause buttons control the N900 media player OK.

An added benefit is that I can leave the N900 in its pouch. Works well for me and sound is good.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
I use Zagg smartbuds. Out of all the cheap ones I tried none worked or they worked only on one side. The Zaggs work although you have to plug them in and then unplug them a few times before the N900 recognizes that a headphone has been plugged in. They hang on your shoulders and do not fall off. Although to tell you the truth I have not used it in phone mode since I use my E71 for calls and my N900 does not have a SIM card installed.

I use the Sony Bluetooth headphones for listening to music and answering my calls. Sony is the best brand I have come across till now, the sound quality is mind-blowing and the battery back-up is also very good. I purchased it through an online dealer few days ago and the price was also low offered by him compared to other retail outlets in the city.