Active Topics

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spokane, WA
Seeing all the hype about the iPad got me to thinking about a short story about why I would NEVER own an iPad/iPhone/iTouch.

A few weeks back our company had a branch office that changed locations. I took the opportunity to save some money by setting up a new phone system for the remote office that runs through our service at our head office utilizing Asterisk (IAX2 over the net).

The switch over happened after hours but happened on a day I had already had plans. The trusty N900 to the rescue. Over a few hours time, I was utilizing my N900 to provision the remote location and our server at the main office. The best part was when I was on the freeway, with an openVPN connection to both offices (switching back and forth) configuring the analog fax settings as well as fax server and then faxing to the remote office and then checking the status with a flash utility... all while on the phone via the bluetooth headset.

Could ANY other device, let alone phone, do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to gregc2009 For This Useful Post:
I'll be honest, you lost me in the second paragraph, well done though

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Yes!... and we have Bounce Evolution... too...

As an iPad owner I can say that yes I could do that. Please, enough with the uninformed commentary.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

i totally agree for a remote admin kind of tool, this phone is the best by far primarily because of the multitasking IMO. I can have several terminals open, a few browser windows, email, jabber, sip, all going at the same time. since I have had this mobile computer, more problems that have come up have been fixed before anyone ever even realized and I have done it from everywhere, the bar, t-ball game sidelines, etc. loving it.

I can't imagine this workflow with any other phone form factor device currently out and definitely not an iphone even if it was jailbroken and backgrounder installed. it just can't do it no matter the hacks.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
As an iPad owner I can say that yes I could do that. Please, enough with the uninformed commentary.
well, yes, I COULD do it on a razr with midpssh but i WOULDN'T want to

seriously after using the n900 in these types of situations, using an iphone or just about anything less than a netbook painful.

But the itouch is only a pmp for the most part and the ipad is an ebook for the most part too. Unecessary apple bashing is troll worthy. Go away

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
nosa just professed himself as a troll?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

It is trollworty but it is a refreshing break to the endless Apple-bobbing that goes on on the BBC, Gadget Show, CNET and just about every-bleedin'-where else.

The N900 does lots of things very well. There are some things that it does not do. An iPad is capable of a lot. Not sure what I would want one for but that's why I haven't busted a gut to get one.

Fanboys and trolls alike are getting tedious. I would like to force-feed John Bentley his iPhone (and may get the chance at the NEC this weekend) but attacking the boys and girls who like pretty, shiny things is a bit dumb too.

Now, where's my paid app Ovi support and Angry Birds? If there's one thing Apple knows how to do it is to let you spend money on things. Keep up Nokia! Even Rovio are getting pissed at you according to their blog.

But this isn't BBC or engadget or tech crunch or gizmodo. You haven't been swamped by apple news here. So why bash apple here ? that's what blogs are for. If you are so mad, you should start a blog called n900pwnzapple and you can fill it this drivel