Active Topics

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Today I met my first fellow N900 owner at work. I did not know the guy but noticed him using it at lunch.
I sat down next to him and commented how awesome the phone was to which he agreed. It was only when I asked him what he did with it / Apps and mods he had on it that the full horror hit home.

Just phonecalls and txt bit of browsing not really downloaded much was his reply. This guy has had the phone over 4 months and had not even updated to PR 1 let alone 1.1.

He had never opened the terminal and was amazed when I went into app manager and enabled Extras repo.

Suppose I might have a look was his reply

Angered I promptly bookmarked this forum and ordered him to read and repent for leaving the device in such a state.

Anyone else had such an encounter??

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Wow...what was he thinking when he bought it? Maybe he mistook it for one of Nokia's plain-jane communicators (I get that a lot), or thought it was an iPhone?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Did you give him the normal disclaimers about using that repo?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Did you give him the normal disclaimers about using that repo?
Extras (not -testing or -devel) is totally safe...I thought it was on by default maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
You did well to put him on the straight path.

I suppose people who only use it for web browsing/texting will probably have a far more smoother/bug free experience as they'll never tinker with the N900 like we all do. But it also means they will never be able to fully show its powers in a group setting.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Extras (not -testing or -devel) is totally safe...I thought it was on by default maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
I think Extras only got enabled by default after Pr1.1

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Extras isn't too bad...

I`m sorry but what makes you think there is something wrong with what he is doing? Just because you can do things to your N900 and download GBs of (un)finished software does not mean you have to. I am actualy a similar type of user to him, I bought the N900 for its form factor, great physical keyboard, for the OS it is running, for the so customisable UI with widgets, contacts and bookmarks on desktop, for the way it keeps me in touch with people I want to be in touch. I bought it for the awesome browser so I can leave my power hungry PC switched off when I don't really need to run quadcore cpu and a graphics card with 1GB of memory just to read an article on a website. Yes I am running the latest firmware and have installed some stuff from extras-devel but because I am a complete linux virgin I can say I have launched xTerminal maybe twice since december.. I know a person whose grandad treated himself to an Astra VXR (google if needed), a 240bhp hothatch, now I could laugh and think WHY would you want / need a car like that at 65ish years of age or I could say good for you mister, enjoy while you can..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
are you kidding? I may be a "polite canadian", but if some software zealot came up to me raging about how I'm not "using my phone right" it would probably earn him a punch in the eye.

or at least a polite "screw off".

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
I drive a gorgeous car, but I dont tinker with the engine

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cortina61 For This Useful Post: