Posts: 90 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New delhi, India
I am a very new to linux and i have never used the x terminal before and i would like to know a website or any such. webpage which can teach me the proper usage and all the important commands used in x terminal

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
The commands available in the XTerminal depends on what you've installed. So, there is no "one page to learn everything" resource for that.

A quick Google search gave me this link that might work as a starting point:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...and_line_intro

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Something like this will give you a good into to the commands available. Otherwise, you can look at the busybox manual pages - the N900 uses this (an older version actually, so some of the options/commands don't work) for the basic commands. Beyond that, any general UNIX/Linux introductions will provide a lot of useful info.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Thread moved to General.

A (very long) list of terminal commands.

(Click on one of the categories)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Any chance to collect the list of commands just for our devices here? Wiki?
I'd like to learn as well.

sudo gainroot
apt-get help

and here more or less everything is clear. But would be useful to have some kind of short description what each option actually can do.

But just help giving me list of commands that I have no idea how to use it. There is more that is impossible to guess that even exist. Try to remind yourself what did you felt seeing xterm first time in your life

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-27 at 01:55.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
I noticed sudo su works in Xterm, but I dunno if that's because I installed Easy-Debian or even sudser (rush command). Works for easy root access.

Anyway, I'd say check out those links provided above and you'll learn a lot quickly if you're willing to take the time to learn.

Jesse~

From this article which seems to be for noobs (like me) The lesson I've got as well is this

Getting help

You can learn commands in many ways. Sometimes you will see them mentioned in articles, or someone might tell you of them. When you learn of a command, it is best to try to find out what it does BEFORE you use it.

The computer assumes that you know what you are doing, and so it will happily erase the entire disk if you ask it to, without pausing to ask if you really meant to.
So... would be good to have a list of commands in common use for N8*0 N900. From this forum I've learn basics about how to navigate through the folder structure, apt-get only because of people even mentioned about this as well as kernel-config (same as above)

Is it any secret held by linux folks that they making this open platform closed for newcomers?

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-27 at 02:16.

For example

http://www.petrilopia.net/wordpress/...and-line-tips/

#3 so simple, you don't need to install any app to do so. So useful. I wonder how much useful things we don't know yet because lack of information.

I founded some list but unfortunately its in Spanish

http://www.nokioteca.net/blog/2010/0...di-x-terminal/

but this is pretty much what I'm asking for.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There are MANY xterm tutorials out there to be found by googling. For starters, try as search terms xterm and tutorial.

There are not many significant differences between how xterm works on the N900 and how it works elsewhere. It would be great if someone would write a Maemo-specific xterm tutorial, and it would be easy. Just find a general tutorial, try its commands on the N900, and use the commands that work to build the tutorial.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
... It would be great if someone would write a Maemo-specific xterm tutorial, and it would be easy. Just find a general tutorial, try its commands on the N900, and use the commands that work to build the tutorial.
Sometimes the best tutorials for "noobs" are written by people new to the subject - they make no assumptions about what the reader already knows. Teaching others is also a great way to learn a subject yourself.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900