Active Topics

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
Hi guys.

Is there a "Show unread post" option on talk.maemo.org? I know about "New Posts", but it's pretty much useless to me
It would be cooler and more comfortable to read forums that way everyday .

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Magik View Post
Hi guys.

Is there a "Show unread post" option on talk.maemo.org? I know about "New Posts", but it's pretty much useless to me
It would be cooler and more comfortable to read forums that way everyday .
Not sure exactly what you're after here. In my browser, unread threads show in bold, and clicking on the replies count on the right of the thread takes you to the first unread post in the thread. Does that help?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
In my browser, unread threads show in bold, and clicking on the replies count on the right of the thread takes you to the first unread post in the thread.
Yea i know about that.
What I meant was that it's a search option that will show only unread posts Hmm... just look at phpBB3 forums ( like http://www.phpbb.com/ theres a option "View unread posts" when you register )

Does that help?
Not really, but thanks anyway for answer

The "New Posts" link at the right will do that. It will show all the threads with new posts since you last visited the site. That's how phpBB does it as well. Can you explain why you find it useless?

You can also bookmark this link if you wish: http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?do=getnew

If you prefer a page that auto updates, you can use this: http://talk.maemo.org/vaispy.php

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-07-08 at 11:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Can you explain why you find it useless?
Because it displays posts that i read already and scrolling trough several pages is a pain I know it's a small issue, but it would be cool if I had a choice.

That's how phpBB does it as well.
Yes it does, but it got two options:
"View new posts" (like on talk.maemo.org)
and
"View unread posts"

First one shows new post in threads and second one shows unread post and if i read that posts they disappear form it.
It's really better It sounds the same, but it really, really isn't. I'm using this option several years on polish forums and it's more usable then the "new posts". Try it
I'm not trying to make a fuss Just saying.

Thanks for the links. Especially second one... wow how cool Online update.

Last edited by Magik; 2010-07-08 at 14:20.

Because it displays posts that i read already and scrolling trough several pages is a pain I know it's a small issue, but it would be cool if I had a choice.
As what Rob1n mentioned, on the 'New Posts' results, you click on the 'replies' part of the thread and vBulletin takes you to your first unread post on that thread. I think it's a neater solution since you know what the topic of the thread is first, and you can decide whether to read the latest post in it or not. If new posts are displayed instead of threads, then you'll have more pages to go through.

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-07-08 at 15:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Thanks for tips.

then you'll have more pages to go through.
Yea, but i like it that way

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
As what Rob1n mentioned, on the 'New Posts' results, you click on the 'replies' part of the thread and vBulletin takes you to your first unread post on that thread. I think it's a neater solution since you know what the topic of the thread is first, and you can decide whether to read the latest post in it or not. If new posts are displayed instead of threads, then you'll have more pages to go through.
I can only agree on this solution being the best one. It combines an easy way to get an overview with easy access to interesting threads.

Being forced to look at individual messages would be to discard the thread abstraction. And that'd be bad.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
First you write

Because it displays posts that i read already and scrolling trough several pages is a pain
and now you write

about having to go through several pages.

Isn't it time you made up your mind?

Being forced to look at individual messages would be to discard the thread abstraction. And that'd be bad.
It could be not forced, but optional
EDITED: oww i didn't mention about option called "Mark all threads as read". When you out of interesting topics to visit you press that button and w8 for another posts

First you write

Because it displays posts that i read already and scrolling trough several pages is a pain

and now you write

about having to go through several pages.

Isn't it time you made up your mind?
Joorin, hmm... i don't know how to describe it, but it is my personal preference of browsing on forums. For Reggie and maybe others it's more pages. For me it's more comfortable, because when you read posts, the topics disappear from "unread option".

ps
You are just posting in this thread to catch me on words or are you here to say something useful?

Last edited by Magik; 2010-07-08 at 19:47.