Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
I was thrilled to see MicroEmu out for the N900... since I sold my N95 I've been a bit stuck for testing J2ME stuff on a device and whilst I'd used MicroEmu on a PC, the speed is way too fast and not comparable to a mobile's performance.

It works pretty well and the speed is about right, perhaps a little sluggish. The skins that come with MicroEmu do not sit well with an N900 however - the 240x320 one goes off of the bottom of the screen.

One solution is to rotate the screen (if you have firmware PR1.2 then just press control+shift+r, then close your keyboard and rotate the phone to portrait). This does allow you to view the full phone but you are then unable to use the physical keyboard. The keys on the device image are also small and pretty hard to press on.

So, I have created a landscape skin at 240x320 specifically for the N900 with easy to use key layouts and obviously this allows for use of the hardware keyboard too.

Download the attachment on this post, unzip the .jar file to your phone somewhere. Launch MicroEmu, go to the <Options> menu, then <Select device...>. Press <Add...> and then select the .jar file on your phone. (press the "home" icon in the open file window, then choose "MyDocs" to navigate to the root folder of your phone's memory, as you would see it from the Maemo File Browser). Note that to navigate to a folder in the MicroEmu file selection dialogs, you should highlight the folder and then click the <Open> button, or press enter on the hardware keyboard.

You will need to set the skin as default and then I recommend restarting MicroEmu, otherwise it likely won't redraw the skin properly. The green "call" button is not mapped yet... I'm still trying to find out how, but I think that everything else is pretty much there.

I hope this helps some people out - I know I'm already finding it useful. I could make some other screen sizes if people need it - just let me know

EDIT: The original file attached was faulty - I have replaced this with a functioning file
Attached Files
File Type: zip microemu-n900-240x320.zip (102.1 KB, 2084 views)

Last edited by stopgap; 2010-08-18 at 02:09. Reason: Replaced defective file

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Look nice but I can't start any MIDlet with this skin, I see only the grey-white background at the place of the screen.

Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
Look nice but I can't start any MIDlet with this skin, I see only the grey-white background at the place of the screen.
Yeah, something is wrong... I'm just working on this now

Ok, it is fixed now, you'll need to download the attachment on the first post - I've replaced it with a new one. Don't forget to remove the "device" you added in MicroEmu first to avoid confusion!

Enjoy

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Thanks it works great now

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
This looks very nice.

Thanks Has anyone tried a jar smaller than 240x320 on MicroEmu? Does it just fit within the existing canvas or does it cause problems? I don't actually have one to try...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
can't you have the auto rotate built into the app? instead of using the keyboard combination. It's quite annoying to keep enable the app to rotate one by one. But after you closed it, it stopped rotating the next time you reopening it.

I don't believe that there is a built in method for achieving this. Perhaps that would be included in the next firmware. I know there are a couple of rotation launcher/daemons in testing/development right now which give you options to perform rotation on launch and with the accelerometer...

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
hey I just installed it this week but so far non of the 2010 apps work like real football and PES. any ideas?