Active Topics

I have seen so many posts like this and thought what a loser to loose such an amazing device. I moved to HTC Desire because to be honest its been almost one year since i had this device and still waiting to do simple tasks like download a application without repositories mess, proper mail for exchange simple applications like bloomberg. I was a gadget freak and student before and i loved my n900 but recently i has became so boring and complex in professional life that I had to move away as size and speed does matter. It was such a hassle to slide the keyboard or search a contact properly and time is money as we all understand. therefore I sold my n900 I know it seems i am a jackass regarding meego and other things coming to N900 but to be honest I was too monotonous and these threads and complications for application and there different response on different n900's. I want to thank you all for your support as I have learned a lot changing boot screens, flashing and somewhat x terminal **** as well. But as the student life ends so as the time wastage on different things. Thank you all for your time and even if no one comments on this thread or says bad words/ compliments I did my job well and suffered a lot for PR1.2 and other things. Wish you all the happy days as i know great things to come on Maemo.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adnanmbs For This Useful Post:
well, while its true that it seems like nokia has abandoned us with this device, and that i plan on gettin one of those dual core phones comming up soon, i dont plan on letting this baby go... in fact, i just got him a BH905 so that i can enjoy my music on the go with him.

i want an androd phone too... but not now.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Ah, it's never a good time to lose a member of community... I hope you--

waittaminute..

did you just call us a bunch of bums who'd contend with unnecessarily complicated, inefficient and substandard user experience? That we have too much time to waste on an essentially unfinished gadget? That we don't have the common sense to realize how big, bulky and heavy the n900 is compared to other available competitors?

Well **** you too!!

Ps: seriously though, take care dude
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Florida
Thats strange. I was feeling the same way and was thinking about joining the Android team, but I will wait and see what happens. I'm a patient man. That and the TMO offerings right now for Android do not measure up hardware wise in when compared to the N900.

Honestly, everytime I use Android, it reminds me of using windows. Dumbed down for idiots, with no easy way to trouble shoot if something breaks.

Not to mention that it is the first Linux platform to get widespread trojans.

The "repository mess" is what keeps Maemo and other Debian based distributions from such dangers. As long as you use trusted repositoriies, you should be golden.

Not to mention the Market is mostly filled with soundboards and 50 variations of each app.

I have also found that the android 'community' as a whole is more splintered and hateful toward different brand phones than most Linux distributions.

Enjoy the android.

slaapliedje

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Florida
I would have to agree with you on those points. I think Meego will turn heads when it is released also. People who leave may come back when Meego is released and ask to move back into their old room.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Honestly, everytime I use Android, it reminds me of using windows. Dumbed down for idiots, with no easy way to trouble shoot if something breaks.

The "repository mess" is what keeps Maemo and other Debian based distributions from such dangers. As long as you use trusted repositoriies, you should be golden.

Not to mention the Market is mostly filled with soundboards and 50 variations of each app.

I have also found that the android 'community' as a whole is more splintered and hateful toward different brand phones than most Linux distributions.

Enjoy the android.

slaapliedje

Last edited by trojanami; 2010-09-09 at 00:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to trojanami For This Useful Post:

Do you really mean to tell me you think we've got not one, but two testing processes each so bulletproof that a Trojan couldn't make it through, and Apple and Google are what, simply incompetent? Keep in mind we have two completely independent routes to the device -- the community option where apps go through extras-testing->testers->extras, and the Ovi store (I've no clue what sort of QC Ovi imposes on that side), and an attacker can pick whichever is less secure.

We're Trojan-free for one reason, and that's because we are not popular enough to be worth attacking. Compared with Android's capabilities-based security, we're really not even trying. (I'm not complaining here -- I'd rather not have that security layer in the way -- but facts are facts.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

slaapliedje

If you've ever used Cyanogenmod, I assure you it feels wayy less dumbed down. There are preferences for different haptic feedbacks for different kinds of buttons.

Trojans? Sure. But widespread? That's putting it a bit too hard. I mean, seriously, they're not common at all.

Sure, there's cruft, but there's actual apps that are useful there.

In all seriousness though, my experience is that Maemo is a better platform. Nevertheless, I await Nitdroid call-making-abilities eagerly. Hopefully, we'll be able to get Cyanogenmod on with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ctbeiser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by adnanmbs View Post
I moved to HTC Desire because to be honest its been almost one year since i had this device and still waiting to do simple tasks like download a application without repositories mess
Apparently you are not a linux user in every day life, for else you would have known that the Debian based apt-get is famous for it's ease of use. If it's a mess on your machine, you could have simply turned off a couple of repos with just a few clicks. Has nothing to do with the device itself, but with the way it's being used. Why do you think Ubuntu chose apt-get and became immensely popular, especially for it's ease of use and friendliness to new linux users?

proper mail for exchange simple applications like bloomberg.
I don't know about Bloomberg but will admit I am annoyed too while spending hours trying to figure out why exchange with SyncEvolution does not work with my... Evolution on Linux... Serious flaw. Admitted.

I was a gadget freak and student before and i loved my n900 but recently i has became so boring and complex in professional life that I had to move away as size and speed does matter.
Bored with a device that has a new function seeing light almost every week? And you're a gadget freak? Odd. Oh, you were a gadget freak.

It was such a hassle to slide the keyboard
Didn't you read the specs before you bought it? It's called a slide out. Admitted, it takes me a minute or two as well, to slide it out and start typing. You're right... Time is valuable here. /sarcasm.

or search a contact properly and time is money as we all understand.
Basic Linux functionality. Typing the first letter while in contacts is a difficult task for you to perform? Really?

therefore I sold my n900 I know it seems i am a jackass regarding meego and other things coming to N900
Well, jackass, I don't know. But you do not sound like the target audience for this device.

Well. Different devices for different people and different tastes. My ex gf has a HTC and loves it. I have used it a couple of times, to solve some problems, or better put, to try and do that, but the hood was welded well shut and so is the trunk. Perfect for her, less perfect for me. I always wondered though, who's corpse is laying in that trunk and whether they had not simply put a couple of kids under the hood with peddles, rather than a powerfull engine.

Good luck with the Android and the spam you'll no doubt be receiving from our friend Google in the near future...

Edit: Really needs to learn to put the / slash before the QUOTE-tag and not after it.

Last edited by anthonie; 2010-09-09 at 02:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
i want to jump to the android wagon too but good thing that i got a chance to try it through nitdroid. it's not that i didn't like it but maemo seems to be easier for me to use.

i'll wait for those 1.2 and 1.5 ghz dual-core processors of samsung, snapdragon, and nvidia to be on the devices for me to upgrade again. i'll give windows 7 and meego a chance to compete with the other os to get my vote...

Tags
android, howmanymore??