Active Topics

No idea if that's the proper naming for it, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the HW keyboard on the N900 as a USB HID device on a full-blown workstation - so I wouldn't need to carry around a roll-up or fold out keyboard with me to certain places.

Plug in N900 via USB, load required modules to passthrough the connection.

Possible?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
No idea if that's the proper naming for it, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the HW keyboard on the N900 as a USB HID device on a full-blown workstation - so I wouldn't need to carry around a roll-up or fold out keyboard with me to certain places.

Plug in N900 via USB, load required modules to passthrough the connection.

Possible?
There appears to be a USB gadget HID driver, playing around with this could probably get what you want.

EDIT: But yeah, definitely possible on the hardware side at least.

Figured as much.

I'd need to basically write my own gadgetfs driver to passthrough or send scancodes after they're inputted. Weak. I have no time or interest in doing that, maybe I'll gank code from somewhere.

Thanks

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-09-11 at 00:08.

hawaii, would it not be better to carry a very small fairly inexpensive bluetooth dongle then use something like BlueMaemo? From what I can tell it supports an onscreen keyboard for now and the developer was looking to support hw keyboard. perhaps contacting the developer might be useful and an effort to support hw keyboard might be fruitful.

For what I'd like to use this for - no, I need a hardwired keyboard that's identified as a USB HID so it's supported by ALL operating systems, regardless of drivers or the such.