Active Topics

Notices

Does anyone have a deb installer file for Midnight Commander please?

Someone spilt a pint of water over my phone and it has since lost some of it's functionality (including all internet connections) and I want to copy off a number of files in my root before I get it repaired as I'm worried I will lose them but the damage is making this very difficult.

Due to the damage I cannot gain root access through x term (don't ask me why, it's confusing and very annoying) and cannot use WinSCP as wifi is not working. I also can't connect it with the usb in 'PC suite' mode but it will allow me to do it in 'mass storage' mode.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can retrieve files on the root?

Thanks

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
The package for midnight commander is here.
Why don't you use the backup tool and save the backupfile
in your MyDocs/ folder, if this one is accisible with "mass storage" mode?
What are the files you want to save?
If you just want to copy some directories/files, you can use
the "cp" command in xterm.

Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Nice one, thanks Nicolai. I hadn't realised I could view and copy root files without root access as I'd always been root when viewing or editing these files before. I have now been able to back up most things on the device. The only annoying this is I can't find a way to export all my contacts so that I can put them back into the new/repaired device in one process as I cannot use Ovi suite and exporting contacts on the phone creates a separate vCard for each contact.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
You can export all contacts (this will create one folder
with many vcard files) and later import again this contact folder.
At least the n900 can import from a folder.

regards
Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Have you already left your phone powered down, for a could 48 hours, to let all the internals dry out? If you haven't you should, it possible once all the condensation evaporates that your phone will be fine.

2d

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
Yes I left it in an airing cupboard for a couple of days before turning it back on. Unfortunately it happened at a party and I did not find out until the following morning when it had sat in the pool of water while powered on all night (until the battery died/it switched itself off at least) and the damage was already done. Cheers for the suggestion though.

That's a relief I don't have to add all my contacts again individually, I'd read somewhere else that I would have to. Do you know if vCard v3 includes all details in the contacts? When I opened a vCard file with outlook it was missing details like jabber account etc.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
how do you delete files from the "opt" folder. seems there are some files there that got left behind after i uninstalled some themes. im a noob so bare with me thanks.