Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
A recent thread started by saying that it included a poll that asked whether users wanted voice dialing on the N900.

Then the poll didn't ask that question.

The author of the poll said that he lied deliberately because the title he chose got more attention for his subject.

I think that lying titles are unusual, and I was surprised that not only was this one permitted, the moderator actually asked people in the thread not to discuss anything but how voice dialing should be implemented.

Discussions of whether the title of a thread is accurate are quite common -- often, for example, a title such as "Arghhh!" is criticized for not having much information about the actual problem the user has. I have never before seen a moderator ask responders to such a title not to discuss the appropriateness of the title but just discuss the OP's concern.

I think that a moderator should consider disallowing a deliberately misleading title such as the one mentioned here. I don't think that a moderator should ask posters to refrain from criticizing a title that deliberately lies.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
No, the mods should change the title and/or close/remove the post in that case IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I think that even having to talk about this kind of stuff tells us quite a much about moderation on this forum. :|

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I think that even having to talk about this kind of stuff tells us quite a much about moderation on this forum. :|
There's no problem with mods here.

This forum seems very much like sitepoint in a way.
All the mods need to is remove the spam posts, the community moderates it's self. Very rarely do I see a thread where a mod was forced to step in.
Most of the time a regular user points out that 'your being a dick!...wind your neck in!'

The worst type of forum is one where there are too many mods with egos way surpassing their intellect.

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-10-04 at 13:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Damn, I read the title as :"Should Tities That Lie Be Permitted?". Now I'm really disappointed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think that lying titles are unusual, and I was surprised that not only was this one permitted, the moderator actually asked people in the thread not to discuss anything but how voice dialing should be implemented.
After soft-deleting two flamebaiting, insulting posts, the moderator, me, asked people to discuss voice dialing, not insult other participants in the discussion. That's completely separate from discussion of the thread's title, which I welcome.

In short:
  • discussing voice dialing in relation to the N900: good
  • commenting on the discontinuity between the thread title and the poll within the thread: good
  • posting "If you [want|don't want] voice dialing, you're a <insult of choice>.": bad

As for the title-poll disconnect itself, that has bothered me since the thread was first created. However, the thread was created before I had moderator rights, and by this point the thread, and its misleading title, are well-known and long established. Changing the thread's title now might throw off people who know, and search for, it by the odd title it has held for so long. Additionally, many posts within the thread itself make reference to the title-poll disconnect, and changing the title at this late date would destroy their meeting.

So, I've refrained from making a change.

However, if there's a general feeling that damage from a changed title would be less than the existing mess, I'll happily make a correction.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I didnt notice the thread in question, but in a similar vein i'm contrinually frustrated with thread titles that seem to be declaring a new application or a fix release.. only to find out after opening that it's an user asking if the app exists, requesting it to be ported, or moaning that it doesn't exist.

I would appreciate it if mods could edit the title of such threads, a simple "?" at the end would suffice.

However I understand that forum rules haven't been breached, and it's probably only me annoyed by this.. but.. well thanks for letting me vent anyway!!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I would appreciate it if mods could edit the title of such threads, a simple "?" at the end would suffice.
I do so when I catch them. Are you using "Report This" to alert moderators to threads with misleading titles?

Also, for one year following a thread's creation, the original poster can update the title of his or her thread. Are you requesting such changes within the threads themselves?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well, personally im not to fund of changing the headline without notify the thread-creater. If we don't allow most of the thread names, we can't allow lies in post either. And editing or deleating post becouse of lies is extreamly dangerous.

only personal attacks shall be removed...Lies must be accepted since its to hard to decied whats a lie and what not.

Just made all this up. Is it a lie?

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I do so when I catch them. Are you using "Report This" to alert moderators to threads with misleading titles?

Also, for one year following a thread's creation, the original poster can update the title of his or her thread. Are you requesting such changes within the threads themselves?
At this point i go "grrr gahhh ffs not again!!" and hit the back button, before collapsing onto the ground in the foetal position, swaying back and forth, murmuring "twinkle twinkle little star.. mummy.. mummy .. take me to the beach mummy..".

However I can see your point about using "Report This" or requesting the title change though, it's possible that could be more effective. Will note for future, my liege

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun