Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
I have looked most of meamo and goggled a lot but can't seem to find anybody that has made an app or got a solution to making a custom brightness setting/app

My own findings/solutions so far have been:
Disabling ALS via /etc/mce/mce.ini
Making a SH that loops with:
echo 160 >/sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness
sleep 1

This works, and keeps my screen brightness at 160 witch is a nice setting since is kinda in the middle of setting 4 and 5 with ALS.

Disabling ALS is possible by removing it in mce.ini but it does have a bad effect by changing the 5 normal settings to 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, now whats needed in my view is to find out how to change the 5 normal settings from the really low settings without ALS to 5 custom steps.

Progress so far.
-----------------------------------
edit /etc/mce/mce.ini
remove the 'filter-brightness-als' from 'Modules=', of course rember to backup original 'mce.ini'.

make a script file in /etc/event.d/ "your filename here"
Code:
start on started hildon-desktop
exec /etc/init.d/ "your filename here"
make a script file in /etc/init.d/ "your filename here"
Code:
#! /bin/sh
cat "brightness file" >sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness
dbus-monitor --system type='signal',interface='com.nokia.mce.signal',member='display_status_ind' | while grep -q "display_status_ind"
do
   cat "brightness file" >sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness
done
files:
"brightness file" - mine is /home/user/bright_setting
"your filename here" - mine is /etc/event.d/frost_custom_settings and /etc/init.d/frost_custom_settings

remember to make the "brightness file" before rebooting else it will assume your brightness is 0 and that will turn off your backlight completely, witch will make it VERY difficult to see anything on the screen.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2010-10-21 at 13:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
bump...
any idea's anyone....
i been looking in about every file on the n900 with mc but can't find the standard values for the 5 brightness steps....

The standard value for the 5th brightness step is the max which is 255.

yes and step 4 is about 80, but that is when ALS is on.
When ALS is disabled the 5 values are 2, 5, 7, 10, 12......
witch makes the screen very dark, probably good for night reading.

what i want is to change the 5 values to something like 15, 25, 80, 160, 255 and again with ALS off because i hate the self adjusting brightness....

so if anybody out there knows where the values are defined/stored in the OS or MCE please let me know.

bump again...

yes and it's a great app, but that is not what this thread is about.

What i have done is disabling ALS (light sensor) so that it doesn't change brightness all the time witch is very ignoring. All so the 5 normal steps aren't very good, got the choice of 4 steps thats to dark and 1 step witch normally is to bright....

But as i said before when disabling mce in /etc/mce/mce.ini the 5 steps become very dark, but now it should just be a question of finding the 5 values and changing them to 5 custom steps with suits the user.

Have you checked the source code to the app to see if the values are hard coded.

I found in the past when I manually changed the brightness values in xterm they would then change by themselves after the screen timed out or was locked, I don't know what was controling the brightness, the app or the OS as I didn't uninstall it.

I agree the automatic brightness setting is annoying, but I am now used to it.

As you have disabled the light sensor it would be interesting to see if the brightness gets automatically changed when the screen times out or you lock the device.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ the holy land
sooo....i can change some settings to get brighter camera flash?