Active Topics

Notices

Had the following email in my inbox. Wanted to know what people think. Couldn't find another thread about it so I'm starting one. Does this mean Nokia might be getting into bed with google on other things in future? (google own yahoo). Possible hint of the n9 being android powered? OR is this some kind of scam? I haven't clicked the link to find out what's on the other side yet, and now I find there are no threads on here I'm getting suspicious..........

Nokia is partnering with Yahoo! to power and improve your Ovi Mail
> experience in the coming months.* You will benefit from improvements
> such as an easier to use and faster Ovi Mail website, the integration of
> instant messaging into the mail web experience, and the ability to
> import your friends’ email addresses from other email services you might
> already use.
>
> To continue using Ovi Mail and take advantage of future enhancements,
> please follow the steps to accept the new terms of service.* Open this
> link to start – http://t.ovi.com/?service=tosmail&u=..................
>
> Please accept the new terms to ensure uninterrupted access to your Ovi
> Mail account.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ovi by Nokia

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Google doesn't own Yahoo!.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
And the piece of news is from May last year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Yahoo is a publicly-traded company listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol YHOO. According to Yahoo finance, "The company was founded by David Filo and Jerry Yang in 1994. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California."

google took over yahoo YEARS ago. They migt still be listed but google own all the shares.

If ths is from last may, why are they just sending me an email about it now lol. Maybe it is a scam.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
google took over yahoo YEARS ago. They migt still be listed but google own all the shares.
No they didn't and no they don't. A quick lookup found a couple of "Microsoft buys Yahoo! and Google buys Facebook" articles from *drumroll* 1. of April and a lot of speculation of Google buying, but they never have.

Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
If ths is from last may, why are they just sending me an email about it now lol. Maybe it is a scam.
It's about a change in terms of service for Ovi Mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I don't think so.

Actually, Yahoo owns a chunk of Google stock because of an early settlement when Google was found to be infringing on Yahoo's patents.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Google does not own Yahoo. The OP's statement is remarkably ill-informed even by our standards.

lol. So-have I been the victim of an april fool many years ago? I'm sure there was a big thing about them being happy that google kept on the old news groups going back years, and would still have a separate yahoo address etc. when they could have just shut it all down. It was ever since then it says 'yahoo, powered by google' when you search for something on there.
Was that really all a big april fool? Must have been around 2002 maybe?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Yahoo! stopped developing their own search engine a few years ago and used Google search results instead. And now Yahoo! search uses Bing results instead.