Active Topics

We are all pissed with how Nokia has treated Maemo, and then Meego with the recent partnership announcement with Microsoft. However, we also know that Nokia has been in trouble for quite a long time and I think we all know that Symbian was really heading towards a dead end.

What do you think Nokia should have done instead?

I wrote what I think in blogform (finally something to get me started on my blog lol). Its quite long, so I'm going to link to it and quote my summary.

http://hawkstah.com/technology/what-...th-maemomeego/
Nokia could have recaptured their market; not by trying to take part in the “App-War”, but by redefining the people’s expectation of what a phone should be, and by doing that; they attack the very foundation of every other smartphone. What’s the use of a 1,000 great apps, if the phone function of your smartphone is deemed inferior?
DIscuss

The Following User Says Thank You to hawk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I cant say what they should have done since I haven't really seen it for myself.

What they should do since they already dumped it, is to release is as an open-source package so we can still actually get it on our phones

Ofcourse I know due a lot of reasons they won't but still, Let a man dream :P!

The Following User Says Thank You to gilamonyet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
it simply is a question of live or die. it is that simple, unfortunately. Meego does not have to die though. it is open source. were everybody waiting for intel and nokia to do all the work. Arena still is open. I'm still wating for a Meego tablet from nokia this year

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think you've overlooked the advantages of apps and appstores.

btw, were you talking about n900 when you were saying:

'if the phone function of your smartphone is deemed inferior?'
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I think you've overlooked the advantages of apps and appstores.
I know the advantages, I'm saying for Nokia to fight, the apps ecosystem does not need to be the focus, its a battle they can't win. They can innovate and fight where others are not and actually make a come back from that position.

You don't have to fight all battles head on.

btw, were you talking about n900 when you were saying:
'if the phone function of your smartphone is deemed inferior?'
The n900 is unpolished, but even in its unpolised state, as a phone (a tool for communication), I've not seen a rival. Personally, I've been so spoilt with how the n900 handles SMS and IMs, not to mention phone calls and skype, that when I try to use iOS or Android, I feel that they're not getting it right.

Its like using an iphone when it first came out, then trying to use another smartphone, the difference in experience is huge. That's how I feel with the n900, its unpolished, but even in its unpolished state, it provides a superior user experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawk For This Useful Post:
The real question is how are e getting someone else than Nokia to do it for and _with_ us? What are our next steps? Ranting doesn't change anything, we need to do something!

Nokia had another project program after the N900 called columbus. From my understanding it was the next generation for maemo, however they canned it suggesting that they wanted to focus on the N900; of course we now realise that was a load of **** and the deal to kill maemo and produce meego had already been done. If Nokia had any sisku they could pull out a rework of the N900 - ie. Fix the rough edges, put in 1G of ram, sort the swap organisation. But they won't as they have nuked the bridges with TI.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemon_grass For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
Its like using an iphone when it first came out, then trying to use another smartphone, the difference in experience is huge. That's how I feel with the n900, its unpolished, but even in its unpolished state, it provides a superior user experience.
That's absolutely true, and this is the same that I feel. In many other things, the n900 just cannot even fight, such as maps, dictionaries, etc. But when you use your phone for what it is really important (at least for me), this is web browsing, skype/gtalk talks, when I go to the iphone it's just going back in time.

So now, I am thinking that perhaps Android (the current versions) provides a similar experience. I don't know, but the tablet videos look amazing. I guess I am a future user of android then ...

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by KaiRo View Post
The real question is how are e getting someone else than Nokia to do it for and _with_ us? What are our next steps? Ranting doesn't change anything, we need to do something!
MeeGo is still alive. Nokia will ship a MeeGo device this year for christ sake. They will continue to do that, one each year or so. But it will only be for enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by KaiRo View Post
What CAN we do?

We do have a few developers working on the n900, providing some patches/fix and apps to both maemo/meego, but there's no leadership and focus. You have the sailors, you have the boat, but you don't have a ship captain,

I know ranting won't change anything, but it does voice out our grief. There is a business opportunity here, and I'm keeping my eye out for a chance to capitalise on it, but for now all I can do is rant and discuss possible actions which Nokia could have taken and perhaps build a strategy around that.

MeeGo is still alive. Nokia will ship a MeeGo device this year for christ sake. They will continue to do that, one each year or so. But it will only be for enthusiasts.
It will not be supported and focus will not be on it. The partnership with Microsoft is in conflict with the development and advancement of Meego.

So while we can expect a Meego device from Nokia, we really can't rely on it in the long term.

So now, I am thinking that perhaps Android (the current versions) provides a similar experience. I don't know, but the tablet videos look amazing. I guess I am a future user of android then .
I've used Android, and it provides a similar experience to the iphone. Its still not as good as the n900. The only one that is giving me hope is the WebOS, will have to see how that one turns out.

Tags
elopcalypse