Active Topics

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry...cting-the-N950

Official Nokia Invitation

Join Nokia at the MeeGo 2011 Conference
"MeeGo 2011, held 23-25 May in San Francisco, will be more than just a cerebral, geeky expression of code and collaboration. It is also your opportunity to talk to individuals and companies about building amazing MeeGo products, applications and projects. Choose from an array of networking opportunities: mingle at the Exploratorium party, stretch your legs during a fun run, get chummy by hanging out at the MeeGo Tech Showcase lounge, or enjoy a real-world plush Angry Birds competition at the MeeGo warm-up session weekend.

Space is limited register now! Last year the MeeGo community was shown in full force as attendance crested 1,200 delegates at the inaugural MeeGo project event. Recently we closed our Call for Papers, reaching 191 submissions and an unprecedented showing of MeeGo support in North America. Attendees have an opportunity to create new relationships and cement existing ones amongst fellow developers as we approach a more evolved MeeGo project, and the first North American project event. Don't lose your spot at this global community event!"

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
What has this got to do with the N950 (probably Harmatten not MeeGo)? .... Also ... Hahaha, not likely until late 3rd or 4th quarter this year.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
What has this got to do with the N950 (probably Harmatten not MeeGo)? .... Also ... Hahaha, not likely until late 3rd or 4th quarter this year.
odd that the very answers are available on this very site (even though i found a link to it on the Wikipedia page of MeeGo...):
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14
as qgil insists over and over, that tread is about naming only but it answers your question: it will be MeeGo even though quite a bit of Maemo (5) technology might still be under the hood.

the MeeGo FAQ ( https://meego.com/about/faq ) has more bad news for Maemo's future:
«MeeGo will use the .rpm format.»
thus Maemo (5 and earlier) will become obsolete unless an independent Maemo community picks it up and keeps developing deb packages.

meego will stop being support in june 2012... :/

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
What the heck.. we will have a strong community for maemo , they will cooperate and build great and versatile applications.. I wish we get the proper GPU drivers with full vsync support and adobe flash 10+ as well..

If the hw and harmattan is what i want i will buy it like N900 while knowing back then that harmattan would kill N900 fairly soon(well that exactly didn't happen, but the result was the same). Can't wait for the hordes of people complaining the lack of support for N950 in here.

Originally Posted by leojab View Post
What the heck.. we will have a strong community for maemo , they will cooperate and build great and versatile applications.. I wish we get the proper GPU drivers with full vsync support and adobe flash 10+ as well..
The n900 meego DE already has full vsync and amazing graphics performance. It is already in a near-usable state and will (hopefully) replace maemo in the not-so-distant future.....

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
If the hw and harmattan is what i want i will buy it like N900 while knowing back then that harmattan would kill N900 fairly soon(well that exactly didn't happen, but the result was the same). Can't wait for the hordes of people complaining the lack of support for N950 in here.
i'll pick you up on your sarcasm...
a few days ago i helped a 770 user (he had bought the thing Xth hand...) installing flash.
OS2006 v. 3.2006.49-2 (the last Maemo version supported on the 770) can still be downloaded from NOKIA & installed on the 770 and microb has been back-ported & is available on the corresponding repository.

this is maybe what distinguishes NOKIA from the rest: long term support.
if all they do is host Maemo 5 PR 1.3 (or 1.4 if that ever happens) for another 5 or 6 years, that seems fair'nough

i'm sure developers will figure out a way to install Maemo 6 / MeeGo 1.x or 2.0 / Harmattan / whatever on the N900 (as HE) and can live on the bleeding edge
either crawling along or frying their devices OC.ed to the max in order to make it bearable...

Don't know about the n950, but at least LG will be showing prototype devices!! may not like there phones myself but something meego related is better then nothing

http://sf2011.meego.com/program/sess...ource-contribu

PS, sorry if this is old news!!