Active Topics

Microsoft buys internet telephony provider Skype for a cool $8.5bn. So what does the takeover mean for Microsoft?

With a user-base of some 663 million global users, Skype's popularity and reach shouldn't be underestimated. On the contrary it must come as something of a healthy acquisition for Microsoft - despite the hefty price tag.

Lets take a look at the weapons Microsoft currently wields:

Windows Live Messenger

Windows Phone

Microsoft Lync (Communicator)

Xbox (including Xbox LIVE and Kinect)

As you can see, there's certainly some overlap with Microsoft's existing software and it's new play-thing. Windows Live Messenger provides exemplary free instant messaging, along with voice and video call functionality, whereas Lync is best-described as Messenger's business equivalent.

Marry the functionality of the video conferencing giant with any of these services and Microsoft would theoretically welcome the 600 odd million Skype users onto its network. Impressive numbers that the Microsoft's and Google's of this world would bite a proverbial arm off for.

Steve Ballmer said this of the takeover:

"Skype is a phenomenal service that is loved by millions of people around the world...Together we will create the future of real-time communications so people can easily stay connected to family, friends, clients and colleagues anywhere in the world."

Microsoft's promising new portfolio certainly indicates massive untapped potential; Kinect is being enjoyed in a record number of living rooms across the world and Windows Phone has gotten off to a steady start, it would be a shrewd move (on Microsoft's part) if they were to integrate Skype's telephony and voIP capabilities here.

Wired.com point out that Skype's existing users are used to paying for the service, so how would this arrangement work going forward (especially when twinned with Microsoft's own Messenger service)?

ZDNet comments on the move and states that the takeover solidifies Microsoft's multiplatform strategy.

Some commentators have even gone so far as suggesting Microsoft look to the takeover as the future of mobile telephony. Look far to the future, to a wi-fi enabled landscape and a world devoid of mobile networks and carriers... One thing’s for sure, something needs to be done to win the telecoms war and maybe free voIP calls via Skype-enabled Windows Phones is the savior we've been searching for.

As far as we're concerned it's far too early to tell, we should instead wait for the dust to settle and see what emerges from this (potentially exciting) new development.

source: msn.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2008 @ London
wait..what!?
Well its good news compared to their merge with Nokia.

Last edited by *the_newbie*; 2011-05-10 at 23:36.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Wait for the dust to settle and watch as MS absorbs another alternative.

As for Windows Phone, a snail's movement could also be described as steady.

kinda makes windows live useless...

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
theyll buy it and kill it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm very interested in Microsoft's vision at this point. They seem to be trying to increase the amount of services that they control, but to what end? It seems to be a more-is-better strategy, but doesn't seem directed to anything specific.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I'm very interested in Microsoft's vision at this point. They seem to be trying to increase the amount of services that they control, but to what end? It seems to be a more-is-better strategy, but doesn't seem directed to anything specific.
I'm curious about it too, but i would imagine Skype will either replace or be integrated into Live Messenger, part of Windows OS or Live Essentials. Part of the advertising of Kinect was connecting people in different places, and I think the Skype acquisition is furthering that. Plus it's a big stab to Google and Apple, both of whom still need an app for Skype. Microsoft will either keep that huge advantage, or charge them a hefty fee to use it - and i imagine Google will just try to push GTalk instead

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Would a Microsoft-owned Skype eventually limit or even prevent the free Skype calling feature on the N900? That would be shame.

Guys 2012 is coming...

Sky.NET

!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to acvetkov For This Useful Post:
its no surprise people are negative towards microsoft, its a linux user-base forum. I am happy at this move, i love nokia hardware and combined it with skype integration will put me back at n900-like cellphone. So wp7 + skype integration or live using skype voip on nokia hardware. All of a sudden it looks much promising for microsoft. For the first time they are heading in the right direction as far as cellphones are concerned

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post: