Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
hi guys can some one explain what is Maemo6 folder?
is it for meego?
Nokia will release a maemo 6?

i'm confused..

i found this folder on QT3d nokia ftp server.. is maemo6 the Meego OS?

here is the link
Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to santiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Maemo 6 = Harmattan = MeeGo Instance

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bavaria, Germany
Seems like that. If you watch carefully, you'll also find tags on gitorious for maemo6 aka harmattan ( https://gitorious.org/qtcontacts-tracker/contactsd )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by gri View Post
Seems like that. If you watch carefully, you'll also find tags on gitorious for maemo6 aka harmattan ( https://gitorious.org/qtcontacts-tracker/contactsd )
i still want to dream about maemo6

Please Santa Give US MAEMO 6!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by santiago; 2011-05-23 at 19:56.

No. Not Santa. He's still on vacation. I bet this guy will grant us our wish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garcel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
your wishes are welcome...

-Brock-
aka Djinn

The Following User Says Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Maemo 6 is the OS that will ship with Nokia's upcoming N9 (or whatever it's going to be called) phone.

Meego is an Intel OS that will run on Intel-platform phones that will eventually ship around 2012.

Maemo 6 and Meego are different OS's that really have nothing in common, besides both being Linux instances.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Maemo 6 is the OS that will ship with Nokia's upcoming N9 (or whatever it's going to be called) phone.

Meego is an Intel OS that will run on Intel-platform phones that will eventually ship around 2012.

Maemo 6 and Meego are different OS's that really have nothing in common, besides both being Linux instances.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe MeeGo is a linux distro much like debian, there are intel and ARM targets. MeeGo being better because it has multiple UIs for various usage (netbook, phone, laptop, etc) and just needs to be recompiled.

The N9 is Harmattan based with MeeGo extension included thus being a hybrid Maemo (6?) which is MeeGo compatible.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Everything I've read (and this is much hearsay, considering Nokia never released information about the N9) leads me to believe that Maemo6 will be a slightly repackaged Maemo5, and definitely will not be Meego-compatible.

Now, Microsoft would certainly love it if Nokia were to market Maemo6 as a "kind of Meego", since that would destroy Meego's credibility and greatly damage Linux mindshare.

But I don't think it will ever happen, not even Microsoft is that evil.

Originally Posted by ajack View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe MeeGo is a linux distro much like debian, there are intel and ARM targets. MeeGo being better because it has multiple UIs for various usage (netbook, phone, laptop, etc) and just needs to be recompiled.

The N9 is Harmattan based with MeeGo extension included thus being a hybrid Maemo (6?) which is MeeGo compatible.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Everything I've read (and this is much hearsay, considering Nokia never released information about the N9) leads me to believe that Maemo6 will be a slightly repackaged Maemo5, and definitely will not be Meego-compatible.

Now, Microsoft would certainly love it if Nokia were to market Maemo6 as a "kind of Meego", since that would destroy Meego's credibility and greatly damage Linux mindshare.

But I don't think it will ever happen, not even Microsoft is that evil.
I don't think I am breaking any NDAs, when I say that this is false.

If there are going to be incompatibilities, then they will not exist just for the sake of it. And we are definitely not talking about a "slightly repackaged Maemo5".

Just keep in mind that work on Maemo6 began long before Nokia and Intel agreed to cooperate with MeeGo. Clearly you cannot expect that this cooperation means "Nokia to drop everything and use Intel's version of MeeGo instead".

It is a process.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post: