Active Topics

I'm wondering if anybody else has run into some of the issues I have recently...

When powering up, often times Xorg seems to stall out and doesn't load. I don't get the 5 progress dots and I don't get the PIN entry window. The screen is blank but powered and will eventually timeout on it's own, but a button press lights it along with the keyboard back up.

I have to yank the battery upwards of 20 times in order to boot successfully.

Any ideas?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Nay, can't say I have had any such issues. Given that you have modified your N900(s) as much as I think you have, is there anything non-standard running that early in the boot process?

- Edit -

Also, I think I read (or saw a screenshot... that sounds more right) somewhere that you have 3 N900s. Do you know the respective age and heaviness of lifetime use of each one? Does this effect all of them, or just one?

- Edit 2 -

If I think about it, actually, there are times when the N900 I have simply fails to boot. It starts booting, then randomly seems to abort and shuts off. The next boot seems to work just fine though. But that doesn't sound like your issue, to be honest.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-02 at 18:41.

I've removed all my customized eventd scripts and have nothing non-standard running during early boot. The *only* thing I am suspect of now, is multiboot. I've never liked it, so I'll take this as a sign to get rid of it.

I've since sold my other devices, so I can't gauge against them.

With all the tinkering I do and still don't have a completely stable and dependable phone, I am *this* close to binning it in my drawer for a few months and getting a webOS device.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-06-02 at 18:50.

I had a similar issues some times ago when with a too high overclocking profile: the phone was perfectly stable when booted but sometimes the screen remain blank when booting, however I could still turn off the phone normally without remove the battery so may be you don't have the same problem.

Finally got it to the desktop, blew away multiboot, restart - same issue.

Not related to multiboot. This is *hella* annoying.

^ I can shut it off using the power button just fine, but it will continue to stall out.

@Megaltariak

This happens on the stock kernel as well, so it doesn't seem to be related to clock or voltage levels...

May be that a framebuffer kernel can reveal something.

Configured and built omap1 stock kernel with fbcon and it's magically booting just fine.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Stuck again. I need to kill fb-progress.sh to see what it's hung on, but it actually does boot X and then gets gummed up. I'll have to chew through every single script that is run on hildon-desktop start to solve it or reflash - which I am not doing.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-06-02 at 20:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
I don't believe it. I tracked the issue down to a rogue script I had sitting in /etc/network/if-up.d/ that was essentially fork bombing itself.

I feel like a complete idiot now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-06-02 at 21:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Pity. While some (including myself once or twice) have been irked by your mannerisms when dealing with the noobs, your contributions to the N900 community as a whole have been pretty good ones. Thank you for what you have done so far.

Enjoy WebOS.