Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Hi, new to this forum. Recently bought my N900. Absolutely delighted with it! Pocket Linux with a Cellphone built in as a bonus, great. I use it for streaming music, live radio and television from my server in England to wherever I am in the world. Just what I was looking for. I am a retired mainframe sysprog, still like to meddle with computers. I log on to my server using ssh. I am looking for a way to simplify my logon process. What I want to be able to do is just click on a shortcut that opens X-term & automatically runs my logon script.

Help much appreciated,

Richard.

Hello macey, welcome to the forum

This sounds like task that could easily be implimented with the Queen Beecon Widget / desktop command application. I don't have the link to the thread ATM so you may have to just pop that in the search bar

The first page of that topic also has links to wiki page with instrucution on making your own commands.

Hope this is useful for you?

You can also write shell script, and put it to execute into .desktop file.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Hello macey, welcome to the forum

This sounds like task that could easily be implimented with the Queen Beecon Widget ?
Thanks for the suggestion, perhaps I should have made myself clearer, I would really prefer a shell script solution.

In Ubuntu it is really easy to define a shortcut on the desktop and run a script.
This is my Ubuntu script:_

gnome-terminal --command='ssh richard@mydomain.com' --title='Connecting to home server, please wait....'

I am not familiar with Maemo but I am looking for a similar solution.
1. How can I define a desktop shortcut that runs my script?
2. Does my script make sense in Maemo? Presumably not as it doesn't use gnome!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks, found the solution :-

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35858

A really good thread.
ps, gnome-terminal equiv osso-xterm

Last edited by macey; 2011-09-04 at 19:46. Reason: clarify