Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Guys, if people act badly, press "report this" on their posts instead of feeding the trolls.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Since dev team suggests to use only SD card, at least the Class10 problem has been fixed ?

It is reported (and I can confirm it with my SD Class10) that N900 has timings problems with some Class 10.
And this can lead to access error, more lags and eventually even filesystem corruption

Maemo has a fix (workaround) for it, but until July MeeGo (and Nitroid) had not.

Now how is the situation ?

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-10-03 at 14:43.

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Since dev team suggests to use only SD card, at least the Class10 problem has been fixed ?

It is reported (and I can confirm it with my SD Class10) that N900 has timings problems with some Class 10.
And this can lead to access error, more lags and eventually even filesystem corruption

Maemo has a fix (workaround) for it, but until July MeeGo (and Nitroid) had not.

Now how is the situation ?
The situation is you shouldn't use 'class 10' cards. They are at best unreliable, at worst a data time bomb. You will notice that the makers of 'premium' sd cards (sandisk) etc. Do not offer large capacity class 10 cards. This is because:

1. The class rating system is a lie. You cannot know what half-assed haxxery has been used to get the card reading/writing at 10MB/s. This makes them unreliable.

2. Class 10 ALWAYS comes at the expense of random read/writes. If you are reading media from a card, this is sequential (you may get your 10MB/s). If you are running an OS from a card, this is random (you will get a couple of KB/s at best). i.e. running an OS from an SD is an exercise in pain.

In conclusion, don't get a class 10, they suck donkey balls. Get a good branded class 4, they don't barf at random W/R.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
I use a Class 10 sd card.. and meego 1.3 runs fine from it..but yea sometimes random read and write speeds!

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by arora.rohan View Post
I use a Class 10 sd card.. and meego 1.3 runs fine from it..but yea sometimes random read and write speeds!
Gie your jacket a shoogle. That jangling in the pocket isn't your house keys. It's bits of data that have fallen out of your SD card

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
has anyone ever been able to install to emmc with linux?

also no i dont want to install to SD so dont suggest it

can anyone recommend the best memory card for booting MeeGo CE? My old one recently went for a dip inside a pool....

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
32GB Sandisk Class 4 here. MeeGo boots fine. It's definitely a lot faster than the Summer release, but it's still not as snappy as Maemo.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Milano
is there a guide to install it on eMMC WITHOUT loading the kernel at every boot

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Pls ... installing to emmc is not recommended right now. a micro sd card comes very cheap.. get it and try on it.

and the instructions are here only.. only if you would search :
EMMC Install

Tags
community, meego