Active Topics

Third Nokia device to suffer this problem. Ironic. Country with permafrost, that had to develop enhanced radio comms because its country was too cold to lay hardwire/landlines, should forget that LCD's lose functionality at <20°. ....... but Samsung and LG corner the LCD/LED screen market, Nokia has ideas, outsource provides hardware, manufacture, distribution and software. Who makes my next phone? Apple/Samsung?

Written on a malfunctioning 7 month old N900.

Nokia is the worst* phone maker now.
-Worse screen (Samsung, Apple, LG)
-Worse processor (Samsung, Apple, Motorola)
-Worse software (Samsung, Apple, RIM)

...yes I do see incentives to use a BlackBerry, but not a Windows Phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I think you mean <-20°C. 20°C, or even 37°C are perfectly acceptable temperatures for a functional LCD.

The Following User Says Thank You to 5spdvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post

Well, I disagree ...

- Nokia has the best display for N9 and Lumia (it is the same), read here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659p2.php ... I prefer N9 display over the others (GS2, iPhone) - you should compare them outside in a bright light ...

- Lumia CPU seems to very fast one (or course, when used on WP OS - it could be slow on android or iOS, but there is not point for a such comparison) and N9 CPU could be faster one, but even that, works very well with Meego Harmattan OS ... either ones are fast ones and has no lags ... well, I would like to have Lumia 800 CPU on my N9

- Well, I prefer N9, so it is the best software for me ... it is always depending on your real use - what do you really need ? ... I like N9 because it is a real plug and play device for all my computers (does not need any separate software for any computer) ... I think that Nokia software is very good now (Meego Harmattan, Maps, Drive, Music mix) ...

Last edited by jaripi; 2012-01-24 at 05:29.

Originally Posted by jaripi View Post
Well, I disagree ...

- Nokia has the best display for N9 and Lumia (it is the same), read here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659p2.php ... I prefer N9 display over the others (GS2, iPhone) - you should compare them outside in a bright light ...

- Lumia CPU seems to very fast one (or course, when used on WP OS - it could be slow on android or iOS, but there is not point for a such comparison) and N9 CPU could be faster one, but even that, works very well with Meego Harmattan OS ... either ones are fast ones and has no lags ... well, I would like to have Lumia 800 CPU on my N9

- Well, I prefer N9, so it is the best software for me ... it is always depending on your real use - what do you really need ? ... I like N9 because it is a real plug and play device for all my computers (does not need any separate software for any computer) ... I think that Nokia software is very good now (Meego Harmattan, Maps, Drive, Music mix) ...
That same article shows the N9's display close to SGS quality, with the SGSII taking the win.
The black background, squicle icons, and cleverly chosen colours do make the N9 display its best... but that's not a show of its display quality.

CPU in Lumia or N9 is now outdated.
If anyone were to get the drivers and (full)source for the SGS; MeeGo/Harmattan could be ported from the N9.
Which would mean alot more N9's about and could be had for $300. I just wished I could dualboot it on my NOTE.

I was talking about WPhail, but even the N9 doesn't have much going for it (thank you Nokia). Here's hoping Tizen is (like proper distro's) "open source" and that Qt can be ported to its backbone!

That same article shows the N9's display close to SGS quality, with the SGSII taking the win.
The black background, squicle icons, and cleverly chosen colours do make the N9 display its best... but that's not a show of its display quality.

CPU in Lumia or N9 is now outdated.
If anyone were to get the drivers and (full)source for the SGS; MeeGo/Harmattan could be ported from the N9.
Which would mean alot more N9's about and could be had for $300. I just wished I could dualboot it on my NOTE.

I was talking about WPhail, but even the N9 doesn't have much going for it (thank you Nokia). Here's hoping Tizen is (like proper distro's) "open source" and that Qt can be ported to its backbone!
N9 display quality is the best for me (over GS2) ... I really do not care how many super and plus words they are using on their display name ...

Outdated ? ... sorry, but Lumia 800 is very fast one with its CPU (I wish to have that CPU on my N9 and I would not need anything more than that) ...

I am very happy with my N9 - well, I am waiting PR 1.2 ... I do not need anything else - I really like my N9 ....

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
You realize Nokia assembles the phones, they didn't make that screen or CPU. They put what they thought is good enough and going to make them some money. Your complaint about the OS makes more sense... You must mean symbian or WP7 though. LOL.

You are aware that one of the most important parts of a 'mobile phone' is the GSM radio, of which Nokia make the best in the world?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
You are aware that one of the most important parts of a 'mobile phone' is the GSM radio, of which Nokia make the best in the world?
ya i second that..
no one can beat Nokia on that, i believe the main functionality of phone / smart phone is to make a phone call and; quality of that matters, atleast for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Phone with very high reception (Nokia xy Series) vs. digital photo frame (iPhone)

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: