Active Topics

OK, this is driving me bonkers so if anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it.
I have an uNSLUng NSLU NAS (it wasn't unslung when I started this project!). The shares are accessible from my XP & Ubuntu clients.
I've followed the HowTo on accessing Windows shares on the N800 using CIFS. I can see my directories (sweet!) yet File Manager reports "Unable to open files" when I try to display the contents of those folders. It'll list the files, but they're all grey and unclickable.
The account I've specified in fstab works from the other network clients.
SMBBrowser refuses to mount the shares even though it creates the mount point directory. I used the same user\pass as the XP clients.
I think the last thing I'll try is Twonky but I just don't understand why the current setup doesn't do it.
Anyone got any stunningly bright ideas?

Thanks

NM

for me i have to click on file| scan host after i enter the username, even if it is already showing up. if you do a search i have writen the exact sequence of events,to connenect.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackpotato For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by numbermonkey View Post
OK, this is driving me bonkers so if anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it.
I have an uNSLUng NSLU NAS (it wasn't unslung when I started this project!). The shares are accessible from my XP & Ubuntu clients.
I've followed the HowTo on accessing Windows shares on the N800 using CIFS. I can see my directories (sweet!) yet File Manager reports "Unable to open files" when I try to display the contents of those folders. It'll list the files, but they're all grey and unclickable.
The account I've specified in fstab works from the other network clients.
SMBBrowser refuses to mount the shares even though it creates the mount point directory. I used the same user\pass as the XP clients.
I think the last thing I'll try is Twonky but I just don't understand why the current setup doesn't do it.
Anyone got any stunningly bright ideas?

Thanks

NM
mount -t cifs -o username=USER,password=PASS //fjall/test /root/mnt

this is an example of how I mounted things after loading cifs.ko

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
what is the SMBbrowser you speak of?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Hey Brendan

It's the SMBbrowser from the garage;

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/smbbrowser/

You have to get smbfs as well - https://garage.maemo.org/frs/shownot...release_id=132 has instructions

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by numbermonkey View Post
Hey Brendan

It's the SMBbrowser from the garage;

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/smbbrowser/

You have to get smbfs as well - https://garage.maemo.org/frs/shownot...release_id=132 has instructions
Brendan said he's on the N800, therefore this will not work (unfortunately).

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
hmmm... i have the cifs.ko for the n800 and i have had very little luck mounting a smb share on my linux machine.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

hmm, maybe that's why I've had no luck with smbbrowser - I too am using a N800 For some reason I thought it was OK to use on the N800. Oh well.

i know that the smbclient and smbserver packages were never ported for the n800, and the cifs.ko work around was put in to cover the functionality.

i did get the cifs.ko method to work *once*, and since then, i have had no luck. i will have to hack a little more to see if i am using the wrong parameters or what.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I have updated my N800 to the new OS2007. I have fetched the cifs kernel module from http://handhelds.org/~fanoush/maemo/...06.51-6.tar.gz. This is not up to date with the new kernel. Still I could insmod without a problem. Both lsmod and cat /proc/filesystems show the module cifs "alive". Then I used the command
mount -t cifs -o user=*,password=* //ip-addr/share /mount-point
This gives me access to a Linux-samba share and a Win-XPSP2 share.

I do not need the samba packages. The cifs.ko is enough. There is some confusion wrt. smb and cifs :-(