Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello,
I wanted to ask everyone
1. how much you use your N900 atm for sharing stuff. By stuff I mean, more specifically, photos, videos, and your location as recorded by GPS.
2. How exactly do you do the sharing? All via the browser? I'd like to find out about the currently working app-based methods for sharing.

The native sharing-plugins - to me once one of THE coolest features of Maemo - for Picasaweb, Facebook and Youtube are all dead bcs unmaintained while lots of changes were made to all 3 platforms. I gotta say, it's a pity to have to use separate methods for sharing now, when we had such an awesome unified thing before.
Kasvopus lacks a photo sharing-feature, Fmobi doesn't open the Maemo picture gallery but creates its own one, which is slow and unnecessary (Sociality just plain doesn't work for me, and it's devel).
For sharing videos on Youtube, Cutetube has a very nice upload feature - but still not like the comfort of tagging, commenting and uploading directly from the camera app...
As for sharing your location, ideally it would not depend on the other person using the same app (and running it at the same time). I'd love get my location as a weblink, ready to send via SMS. All the other person has to do is click the link and get my location shown on a map (any service, like e.g. Google Maps)in the browser (which btw works great in Nokia Maps f Symbian). Again, I'd like to have an app-based solution on my end - but maybe Google Maps in MicroB is the easiest way to do that after all? i tried Maemaps, but didn't find anything shareable.
We have quite the impressive range of maps applications for Maemo, but does any of them make my location recorded from GPS into a weblink that I can share?
Thanks, Ben

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2012-07-03 at 16:41.

Ok, so obviously, either nobody uses the N900 w/ Maemo for sharing things anymore, or everybody does it just via the browser?
Nobody ever try sharing their location?

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Only thing I share is photos through the facebook uploader You need updated libcurl from extras-devel, I believe.

Rest of FB statusses I share via browser.
I don't feel comfortable when sharing my location so I disabled all location sharing features of service like fb
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
I use pixelpipe. Google it

I use Imgur.
just pick the file you want to share and the plugin will upload it to Imgur server and then you'll get an url for that file.
now you can send this url to the person you want to share with.

Another option is to create a custom "command line sharing" and actually do whatever you want with it by programming a short script.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJBENTZY For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
I use pixelpipe. Google it
If you mean the Pixelpipe-made Youtube sharing plugin for Maemo, that has been down for many months now, it was replaced by a Youtube plugin from Nokia that ceased to work after changes made to Youtube. If it still works for you, that is a miracle. What is your OS version?
Or do you use Pixelpipe via browser?

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Only thing I share is photos through the facebook uploader You need updated libcurl from extras-devel, I believe.

Rest of FB statusses I share via browser.
I don't feel comfortable when sharing my location so I disabled all location sharing features of service like fb
By sharing my location, I mean in a situation where I want to meet a friend at a crowded or unfamiliar place, maybe spoken directions fail to get us together, and I want to show them my precise location on a map, by sending them a link via sms.
What exactly is libcurl? I can't find it by searching devel in app manager.

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2012-07-06 at 00:06.

Originally Posted by DJBENTZY View Post
I use Imgur.
just pick the file you want to share and the plugin will upload it to Imgur server and then you'll get an url for that file.
now you can send this url to the person you want to share with.
For photos and videos, I usually don't share with just one person, but I want to post it on Facebook or Youtube for everyone to see (ok, for a vid on YT I'd have to send them a link anyway).
Imgur is not for vids, is it? If I post that link for a photo as my Facebook status, will it display the photo right there?

Another option is to create a custom "command line sharing" and actually do whatever you want with it by programming a short script.
A bash script? Or something else? Either way, I don't know how to do that (not that I wouldn't like to learn how, but it'd take me forever to figure it out). It would be a great beautiful thing for Maemo to have though. Maybe I should put up a request for that... How would I do that properly in maemo.org?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2012-07-06 at 00:01.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
For photos and videos, I usually don't share with just one person, but I want to post it on Facebook or Youtube for everyone to see (ok, for a vid on YT I'd have to send them a link anyway).[...]
if privacy is no concern of yours (i disabled all and any GPS tagging feature and use go'ol' fashioned reference ("underneath the big blue advertisement panel on the north side..."))
the default camera apps includes GPS tagging.
make any pic with that & anyone can get your location from the EXIF info of the pic (or video)...
most pic sharing site with a remotely decent tagging functionality will "put you on the map" >¦-))))))

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
So to sum it up, no app-based sharing of location via sms, or photo/video sharing to Facebook and Youtube...
:-(