Active Topics

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
Last night I was using the "access point" software on my N9 for the first time. At the moment I don't have WiFi signal in the garden and the N9 stepped in to fill the gap, and did so brilliantly. I was quite impressed by the quality of the access point software and how configurable it was, and web browsing, IM and email was surprisingly responsive over the 3G connection. Then my phone suddenly died.

I had gone inside to get a drink and when I came back out I noticed the screen was blank. I picked up the phone and it was VERY warm, definitely not the kind of temperature I'd expect from a mobile. I had had it plugged into the USB socket to keep the battery topped up so it shouldn't have run out of juice. The thing is, after trying all the usual stuff, including leaving it plugged into the wall charger overnight, holding in the unlock button for 1min+, etc, it's still completely and utterly... dead No sign of life whatsoever, no white charging light, no little vibration, nothing, nada, zip - just a depressingly blank brick.

So. Questions. Is there anything else I can try, without voiding my warranty? And just how do I go about getting it fixed under warranty? I tried looking for info on Nokia's website but they just say "restart, reset, update" as if that was the universal solution to all faults...

Last edited by Lomax; 2012-09-04 at 15:31.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You must have had a lemon there... sounds like its a HW fault. Nothing to do, except return the device to the dealer and get a replacement under warranty.

No "magic tricks" can heal a phone when it is not s SW fault but broken HW.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
So. Questions. Is there anything else I can try...
Well you could start by making the title of your thread better.
"Noooooooooooooo!" Doesn't help anyone.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Well you could start by making the title of your thread better.
Sorry, I was in affect. That better?

The Following User Says Thank You to Lomax For This Useful Post:
Thanks to those who replied - I've now booked a warranty repair pick-up with Nokia Care. Interestingly, at first they claimed my warranty was no good in the UK as the N9 was never launched here, but I persisted and explained that I had an EU wide warranty (I bought the phone in Sweden) - then suddenly they changed their mind and were happy to accept the phone...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Well there is one thing you can try:

open cmd.exe as admin
cd to where flasher is located
flasher -f -F rootfs.bin
Plug in the phone once it says phoenet not detected

your phone will get detected and it will show your battery is dead and will charge till 11% for a flash to be performed...Just plug it out at 9-10% and plug into a wall socket for it to charge...

The first 9-10% can take nearly an hour so don't panic...

Edit: The more I read your post the more i'm sure the above should work...IIRC mariusmssj had a similar issue fixed the same way...Sometimes the usb that you left it plugged into does not help with the charging and in fact speeds up the draining of the battery so your battery has ran out of reserve power hence the kernel is not being "kick-started" even with a wall-socket...flasher is the only way to get it "kick-started"

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-04 at 16:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Well there is one thing you can try
Many thanks, it would of course be great if I could recover without having to go through the warranty procedure. However:

flasher -f -F rootfs.bin
I don't have a rootfs.bin file, nor do I know where to find it. Also, is it really necessary to flash the phone to recover? I've tried running "flasher -i" and then connecting the phone after the phonet message appears but it just sits there doing nothing.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
rootfs.bin is the main.bin file you download from navifirm...

no no you are not flashing your phone but pretending to do so...once the battery level is at 9-10% you plug it out so that way no flash is done as for a flash to start 11% battery is the least that is required...the battery level will update every 1% so you can monitor it...

flasher -i will not be able to "kick-start" the kernel so the commands i gave u are the best option AFAIK...

Sometimes the usb that you left it plugged into does not help with the charging and in fact speeds up the draining of the battery
I can second to that. I have a USB charger that works fine with other devices, but it sucked juice out of N9 faster than light . Well...at least under half an hour from 100% to 15%...

I was going to give this another try but the Navifirm firmware downloader requires .NET4 which my VM host does not have. Then I tried setting up USB access to a WinXP VM but it seems the phone isn't even being detected - there is no USB device entry for it in the VBox USB devices list, so I can't grant the VM access.

I reckon dead dead. As in a dead thing. Being dead.